- Title: Thousands rally in Kiev against Steinmeier peace plan
- Date: 2nd October 2019
- Summary: KIEV, UKRAINE (OCTOBER 02, 2019) (REUTERS) ***WARNING: CONTAINS PROFANITY*** ***WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** PEOPLE GATHERING ON KIEV'S INDEPENDENT SQUARE (MAIDAN) VARIOUS OF PEOPLE AT RALLY PROTESTER ADDRESSING CROWD THROUGH LOUDSPEAKER VARIOUS OF RALLY IN PROGRESS PROTESTERS MARCHING TO THE OFFICE OF THE PRESIDENT OF UKRAINE PRESIDENT'S OFFICE BUILDING POLICE IN FRONT OF THE PRESIDENTIAL OFFICE MORE OF PROTESTERS WALKING TO THE PRESIDENT'S OFFICE PROTESTERS RALLYING OUTSIDE THE OFFICE SOUNDBITE (Ukrainian) OLEXANDER MAKHNO, VOLUNTEER, SAYING: "We have had a war for five years in Ukraine already. We really don't want it to be in vain. A lot of our boys have died, lot of people lost their homes. We don't want it to be in vain. That with a stroke of a pen of one man, we can lose our country!" VARIOUS OF RALLY IN PROGRESS PLACARD READING IN UKRAINIAN: "WITH ALL DUE RESPECT - FUCK OFF!" SOUNDBITE (Ukrainian) NATALIA KARDASH, KIEV RESIDENT, SAYING: "I came here to say that I have a lot of questions, that I don't know what to expect in the future, where we going, and by my presense here I want to show that I'm not happy with the present situation, and I'm looking for answers." PARAMEDICS PROTESTERS SOUNDBITE (Ukrainian) VOLODYMYR MAKSYMCHUK, KIEV RESIDENT, SAYING: "People worry a lot. That's why they are here. To feel the comradeship of people of the same kind." LIGHTS IN THE WINDOWS OF PRESIDENTIAL OFFICE. PROTESTERS OUTSIDE OF PRESIDENTIAL OFFICE
- Embargoed: 16th October 2019 23:34
- Keywords: Ukraine Russia Donbass eastern Ukraine rally Kiev rally Poroshenko Steinmeier formula
- Location: KIEV, UKRAINE
- City: KIEV, UKRAINE
- Country: Ukraine
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest
- Reuters ID: LVA001AZEP93B
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: CLIENTS PLEASE NOTE: WRITTEN PROFANITY ON BANNER IN SHOT 12
Thousands of Ukrainians gathered on Wednesday (October 2) in central Kiev to protest against a peace plan for the country's rebel-held east, known as the Steinmeier formula.
Protesters shouted 'shame!' and 'no to capitulation' as well as chants targeting Russia's President Putin.
Envoys from Moscow and Kiev agreed at talks on Tuesday on an election schedule for the separatist region and on legislation giving it special status.
The leaders of Russia, Ukraine, France and Germany last met in the Normandy format in October 2016. The group takes its name from a meeting of the countries' leaders in Normandy in 2014.
In Moscow, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov welcomed the progress at Tuesday's talks, Tass news agency reported.
However Ukraine's former president Petro Poroshenko angrily dismissed the move in a statement published on Facebook, calling it 'Putin's formula' and unfavourable for Ukraine.
More than 13,000 people have been killed in the more than five-year-old conflict in east Ukraine between pro-Russian separatists and Ukrainian government forces.
(Production: Sergiy Karazy)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None