- Title: Iraqi protesters demand work amid burning tyres and smoke in Baghdad
- Date: 2nd October 2019
- Summary: BAGHDAD, IRAQ (AUGUST 2, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS GATHERED IN BAGHDAD SQUARE/SMOKE PLUMES RISING SMOKE PLUMES RISING/PROTESTERS DEMONSTRATING ON STREET (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) UNIDENTIFIED PROTESTER, SAYING: "Our demands? We want work, we want to work. If they do not want to treat us as Iraqis, then tell us we are not Iraqi and we will find other nationalities and migrate to other countries." SMOKE RISING FROM BURNING TYRE PROTESTERS/SMOKE RISING SMOKE PLUMES RISING FROM BURNING ROADBLOCK (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) UNIDENTIFIED PROTESTER, SAYING: "We are demanding a change, we want the downfall of the whole government" PROTESTERS BLOCKING STREET/SMOKE RISING FROM FIRE SMOKE RISING/PROTESTER HOLDING FLAG PROTESTERS SITTING ON STREET/SMOKE RISING
- Embargoed: 16th October 2019 15:03
- Keywords: Zafaraniya district of southeast Baghdad protesters Iraq injured live rounds
- Location: BAGHDAD, IRAQ
- City: BAGHDAD, IRAQ
- Country: Iraq
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest
- Reuters ID: LVA001AZEOE9Z
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Demonstrators demanded work in Baghdad on Wednesday (October 2) as unemployment protests continued into a second day in the Iraqi capital.
Men gathered amongst burning tyres and rising smoke to call on the Iraqi government to provide work for its citizens, while others called for the downfall of the government as a whole.
Later on Wednesday, police opened fire on a group of protesters marching between Tahrir Square and Tayaran Square.
Small protests also took place in the northern city of Kirkuk and eastern province of Diyala.
The main protest on Tuesday (October 1) erupted in Baghdad, where one protester was killed, with some demonstrations taking place in other areas, including in the southern city of Nassiriya where a protester was also shot dead, according to police.
In a bid to cool tempers, Prime Minister Adel Abdul Mahdi on Tuesday promised jobs for graduates.
He instructed the oil ministry and other government bodies to include a 50% quota for local workers in subsequent contracts with foreign companies.
(Production: Maher Nazeh, Mostafa Salem, Wessam Alokaili, Eleanor Whalley)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None