- Title: WTO decision will weigh on Airbus, Germany's Merkel says
- Date: 2nd October 2019
- Summary: LE BOURGET, FRANCE (FILE - FEBRUARY 14, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF AIRBUS A380 IN AIR PHOTOGRAPHER A380 LANDING VARIOUS OF A380 ON RUNWAY VARIOUS OF A380 BEING SPRAYED WITH WATER FROM FIRE TRUCKS
- Embargoed: 16th October 2019 17:11
- Keywords: airbus WTO
- Location: BERLIN, GERMANY / LE BOURGET
- City: BERLIN, GERMANY / LE BOURGET
- Country: Germany
- Topics: Company News Markets,Economic Events
- Reuters ID: LVA002AZEN631
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A decision by the World Trade Organisation (WTO) allowing the United States to target goods imported from the European Union over illegal subsidies to Airbus will weigh on the plane maker, German Chancellor Angela Merkel said on Wednesday.
The United States won approval on Wednesday to impose tariffs on $7.5 billion worth of European goods, threatening to trigger a tit-for-tat transatlantic trade war as the global economy falters.
The decision by the World Trade Organization pushes a 15-year corporate dispute over illegal support for transatlantic plane giants to the center of caustic world trade relations and comes on top of a tariff war between Washington and Beijing.
The European Commission said in response that a U.S. move to impose trade sanctions on EU imports would be "short-sighted and counterproductive" and risked causing damage on both sides of the Atlantic.
Merkel said she would wait to see how the U.S. administration reacts. She said the ruling burdened Airbus.
(Production: Leon Malherbe, Zoltan Berta, Michelle Martin)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None