- Title: WTO decision will weigh on Airbus, Germany's Merkel says
- Date: 2nd October 2019
- Summary: BERLIN, GERMANY (OCTOBER 2, 2019) (REUTERS) GERMAN CHANCELLOR ANGELA MERKEL AND DUTCH PRIME MINISTER MARK RUTTE ARRIVING FOR NEWS CONFERENCE INTERPRETER SPEAKING MERKEL LISTENING TO RUTTE (SOUNDBITE) (German) GERMAN CHANCELLOR, ANGELA MERKEL, SAYING: "We'll wait to see what the American administration does now. Under WTO law we have lost a case - that means it is not arbitrary but rather a ruling under international law, which burdens Airbus unfortunately." JOURNALIST TYPING CAMERAS RUTTE SPEAKING, STANDING NEXT TO MERKEL (SOUNDBITE) (German) GERMAN CHANCELLOR, ANGELA MERKEL, SAYING: "We'll see how the Americans react now." PHOTOGRAPHERS TAKING PHOTOS MERKEL AND RUTTE WALKING TO FLAGS AND SHAKING HANDS
- Embargoed: 16th October 2019 17:11
- Keywords: airbus WTO
- Location: BERLIN, GERMANY / LE BOURGET
- City: BERLIN, GERMANY / LE BOURGET
- Country: Germany
- Topics: Company News Markets,Economic Events
- Reuters ID: LVA001AZEN631
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A decision by the World Trade Organisation (WTO) allowing the United States to target goods imported from the European Union over illegal subsidies to Airbus will weigh on the plane maker, German Chancellor Angela Merkel said on Wednesday.
The United States won approval on Wednesday to impose tariffs on $7.5 billion worth of European goods, threatening to trigger a tit-for-tat transatlantic trade war as the global economy falters.
The decision by the World Trade Organization pushes a 15-year corporate dispute over illegal support for transatlantic plane giants to the center of caustic world trade relations and comes on top of a tariff war between Washington and Beijing.
The European Commission said in response that a U.S. move to impose trade sanctions on EU imports would be "short-sighted and counterproductive" and risked causing damage on both sides of the Atlantic.
Merkel said she would wait to see how the U.S. administration reacts. She said the ruling burdened Airbus.
(Production: Leon Malherbe, Zoltan Berta, Michelle Martin)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None