- Title: Silva charged by FA over Mendy tweet
- Date: 2nd October 2019
- Summary: MANCHESTER, ENGLAND, UK (SEPTEMBER 30, 2019) (REUTERS) MANCHESTER CITY MANAGER PEP GUARDIOLA AT TRAINING VARIOUS OF BENJAMIN MENDY AT TRAINING (TWO SHOTS)
- Embargoed: 16th October 2019 11:54
- Keywords: Bernardo Silva Benjamin Mendy Manchester City
- Location: MANCHESTER, ENGLAND, UK
- City: MANCHESTER, ENGLAND, UK
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA003AZEL3R3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Manchester City midfielder Bernardo Silva has been charged with misconduct by the Football Association (FA) over a Twitter post concerning team mate Benjamin Mendy last month.
Portugal's Silva came under fire from anti-racism body Kick It Out after posting a message on Sept. 22 comparing Mendy to a character used in the logo for Conguitos, a confectionary brand popular in Spain and Portugal, before deleting it.
"Silva has been charged with misconduct for a breach of FA Rule E3," the FA said in a statement on Wednesday (October 2), adding that the player had until Oct. 9 to respond.
"It is alleged that the City player's activity breaches FA Rule E3(1) as it was insulting and/or improper and/or brought the game into disrepute.
"It is further alleged that the activity constitutes an aggravated breach... as it included reference, whether expressed or implied, to race and/or colour and/or ethnic origin."
City manager Pep Guardiola had said last month that it would be a mistake for the FA to punish Silva over the tweet.
(Production: Iain Axon)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None