- Title: Hong Kong police say officer who fired shot was 'under attack'
- Date: 2nd October 2019
- Summary: HONG KONG, CHINA (OCTOBER 2, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS HONG KONG POLICE SEATED IN NEWS CONFERENCE (SOUNDBITE) (Cantonese) SENIOR SUPERINTENDENT OF POLICE PUBLIC RELATIONS BRANCH, TSE CHUN-CHUNG, SAYING: "The police is upset that someone is injured in the protest, regardless whether they are protesters or police. But in this matter, the protesters were very ruthless, they used hammer, spanner, iron rod to attack our colleague who fell on the floor. They also use sharpened walking sticks to stab our colleague. When they were trying to stab the police did they consider his life? And the people who criticised police shooting do they differentiate life of a policeman and an attacker?" POLICE SEATED IN NEWS CONFERENCE (SOUNDBITE) (Cantonese) SENIOR SUPERINTENDENT OF POLICE PUBLIC RELATIONS BRANCH, TSE CHUN-CHUNG, SAYING: "In the police action yesterday police arrested 269 people, include 178 men and 98 women, aged 12 to 71-year-old, for weapon possession, illegal assembly and possessing weapons for illegal use." POLICE SEATED IN NEWS CONFERNECE (SOUNDBITE) (Cantonese) DEPUTY COMMISSIONER OF POLICE, TANG PING-KEUNG, SAYING: "Yes, we think so. In the last four months, the protesters only threw rocks and dismantled barricades but now they have moved on to use petrol bombs. As you can see yesterday they threw more than a 100 of petrol bombs. The petrol bombs were threw on the road in the past but now they are targeted at our police officers as if they want to kill us or badly injure us, we are very worried on the situation." HONG KONG, CHINA (OCTOBER 1, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS PROTESTERS MAKING PETROL BOMBS VARIOUS PROTESTERS THROWING PETROL BOMBS AT GOVERNMENT HEADQUARTERS FIRE PROTESTERS / FIRE RIOT POLICE LOOKING ON VARIOUS RIOT POLICE ARREST A MAN
- Embargoed: 16th October 2019 11:40
- Keywords: Hong Kong protest China shooting teen police news conference
- Location: HONG KONG, CHINA
- City: HONG KONG, CHINA
- Country: Hong Kong
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest
- Reuters ID: LVA001AZEKAIV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS NOTE: PART AUDIO AS INCOMING
Hong Kong police said on Wednesday (October 2) their colleague who fired the shot and wounded a 18-year-old teen protester was "under attack" at the moment, as they defended the action.
During one clash on Tuesday (October 1) an officer shot an 18-year-old school student in the chest with a live round after coming under attack with a metal bar, video footage showed. The teen was in stable condition in hospital on Wednesday.
Police said the officer involved was under serious threat and acted in self-defense in accordance with official guidelines.
Police said they arrested 269 people - 178 male and 91 female - aged 12 to 71 during the Tuesday turmoil, while officers fired about 1,400 rounds of tear gas, 900 rubber bullets and six live rounds.
(Production: Yuddy Cahya Budiman, Joseph Campbell, Angie Teo)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None