- Title: Hundreds march against shooting by Hong Kong police
- Date: 2nd October 2019
- Summary: HONG KONG, CHINA (OCTOBER 2, 2019) (REUTERS) PROTESTERS CHANTING (Cantonese): "FREE HONG KONG, REVOLUTION OF THE TIME" AND HOLDING PLACARDS PROTESTER WEARING FACE MASK CHANTING VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS CHANTING (English): "FIVE DEMANDS, NOT ONE LESS" MAN CHANTING WITH PROTESTERS (Cantonese): "HONG KONG POLICE", OTHERS SHOUT (Cantonese): "COMMIT MURDER ON PURPOSE" PROTESTERS CHANTING (Cantonese): "HONG KONG POLICE COMMIT MURDER ON PURPOSE" (SOUNDBITE) (English) MASTER'S STUDENT AND PROTESTER, TIFFANY TSUI, SAYING: "I, I feel so angry and I feel so shocked. Because, at the first moment, I have a little bit of hope for the Hong Kong police, but nowadays, I'm so disappointed (in) the Hong Kong police for what they (have) done. So, it's so heartbreaking, because the student, I heard the news that he's just stable. The situation is just stable. So it's OK now, but the responsibility of the Hong Kong police, we cannot, we cannot forgive them." VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS MARCHING AND CHANTING PROTESTER HOLDING POSTER READING (English): "YOU CAN KILL THE DREAMER BUT YOU CAN'T KILL THE DREAM" (SOUNDBITE) (English) OFFICE WORKER AND PROTESTER, ESTHER TSANG, SAYING: "It was really bad, but it's not the first time, right? I mean, it's been happening for, like, a few months, and it keeps worsening, so I think we should stand up for ourselves and just do something and let the government and the public know that we're not going to let that happen again." VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS MARCHING TOWARDS GOVERNMENT HEADQUARTERS
- Embargoed: 16th October 2019 08:25
- Keywords: Hong Kong China protests march police
- Location: HONG KONG, CHINA
- City: HONG KONG, CHINA
- Country: Hong Kong
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest
- Reuters ID: LVA001AZEK6KN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Hundreds of people marched in Hong Kong's central business district on Wednesday (October 2) in protest against the shooting of a teenage protester by police.
The 18 year-old protester was shot in the chest during chaotic National Day protests on Tuesday (October 1) with a live round and is currently in a stable condition in a hospital.
Chanting "Hong Kong police commit murder on purpose," protesters, many of whom work in surrounding offices, gathered at a nearby park around mid afternoon before marching through a
street in Central.
Protesters said they are disappointed by the police act and upset with the 'worsening' situation.
Police said the officer involved was under serious threat and acted in accordance with official guidelines.
(Production: Joseph Campbell)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None