- Title: Placido Domingo resigns from LA Opera leadership
- Date: 2nd October 2019
- Summary: NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES (FILE - MAY 11, 2018) (REUTERS) ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** SPANISH TENOR, PLACIDO DOMINGO, POSING FOR PHOTO WITH CREATOR AND PRODUCERS OF HUNGARIAN-INVENTED CLASSICAL MUSIC TALENT SHOW 'VIRTUOSOS' DOMINGO WITH PIANIST, MISI BOROS VARIOUS OF DOMINGO SIGNING AGREEMENT WITH VIRTUOSOS HOLDING LTD DOMINGO SPEAKING TO REPORTER HAVANA, CUBA (FILE - NOVEMBER 24, 2016) (REUTERS) SPANISH TENOR, PLACIDO DOMINGO, GREETING CUBAN NATIONAL BALLET DIRECTOR, ALICIA ALONSO, AT THE GREAT HAVANA THEATRE VARIOUS OF DOMINGO APPROACHING MEDIA VARIOUS OF DOMINGO SPEAKING TO MEDIA
- Embargoed: 16th October 2019 22:30
- Keywords: accusations of sexual misconduct California Metropolitan Opera singer opera Placido Domingo classical music Los Angeles New York
- Location: NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES; HAVANA, CUBA
- City: NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES; HAVANA, CUBA
- Country: USA
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Music
- Reuters ID: LVA001AZEPGZR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Opera singer Placido Domingo on Wednesday (October 2) resigned as general director of Los Angeles Opera, saying that accusations of sexual misconduct had compromised his ability to continue in the role.
"Recent accusations that have been made against me in the press have created an atmosphere in which my ability to serve this Company that I so love has been compromised," Domingo said in a statement to the opera house.
"While I will continue to work to clear my name, I have decided that it is in the best interests of LA Opera for me to resign as its General Director and withdraw from my future scheduled performances at this time," he added.
More than three dozen singers, dancers, musicians, voice teachers and backstage staff have said in recent weeks that they had witnessed or experienced inappropriate behavior by Domingo toward women at different opera houses over the last three decades.
Domingo, 78, has disputed the accusations but Los Angeles Opera in August said it would hold an independent investigation. It has yet to make public any findings of the probe. He has been general director at LA Opera since 2003.
LA Opera on Wednesday described Domingo as "an outstandingly talented artist (and) also the driving force behind the creation, development and growth of LA Opera."
Last month the Spanish singer and conductor pulled out at the last minute from a performance in "Macbeth" at the Metropolitan Opera in New York and said he would never perform there again.
(Production: Alicia Powell)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None