- Title: Two killed, 200 wounded in Iraqi protests after police open fire
- Date: 2nd October 2019
- Summary: BAGHDAD, IRAQ (OCTOBER 1, 2019) (REUTERS) (NIGHT SHOTS) COFFIN BEING CARRIED THROUGH STREET DRAPED IN IRAQ FLAG (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) COUSIN OF KILLED PROTESTER MOHAMED AL SAADI, HUSSEIN AL SAADI, SAYING: "The protest was peaceful, until the last minute of it, it was peaceful. I do not know. Are (the protesters) not Iraqi (like you)?" COFFIN BEING CARRIED THROUGH STREET
- Embargoed: 16th October 2019 12:18
- Keywords: Iraq protests Baghdad police protesters Adel Abdul Mahdi
- Location: BAGHDAD, IRAQ
- City: BAGHDAD, IRAQ
- Country: Iraq
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA002AZENUIV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: At least two people were killed and 200 wounded in clashes in Iraq on Tuesday (October 1) as security forces used tear gas, water cannon and live fire to disperse demonstrations over unemployment, corruption and poor public services.
The main protest on Tuesday erupted in Baghdad, where one protester was killed, with some demonstrations taking place in other areas, including in the southern city of Nassiriya where a protester was also shot dead, according to police.
The government statement blamed "groups of riot inciters" for the violence and said the security forces were working to ensure the safety of peaceful protesters.
Reuters reporters saw several people with blood covering their faces and ambulances rushing in to transport the wounded.
On Wednesday (October 2) a second wave of demonstrations saw at least eight protesters wounded in the Zafaraniya district of southeast Baghdad when police and the army opened fire and launched tear gas canisters to disperse dozens of protesters, police sources said.
(Production: Alaa Al Margany, Maher Nazeh, Mostafa Salem)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None