- Title: Students rally after Hong Kong police shoots teenage protester in chest
- Date: 2nd October 2019
- Summary: HONG KONG, CHINA (OCTOBER 2, 2019) (REUTERS) STUDENTS WALKING PAST STUDENTS' SHOES VARIOUS OF STUDENTS CHANTING STUDENT HOLDING UP PAPER READING (English): "STOP SHOOTING STUDENTS" STUDENT WITH GAS MASK AND FACE MASK VARIOUS OF STUDENT HOLDING UP SIGN READING (Chinese): "WIDESPREAD POLICE VIOLENCE, MURDERING PEOPLE" VARIOUS OF PEOPLE DURING SIT-IN PROTEST PLACARD DEPICTING POLICE OFFICER SHOOTING PROTESTER PEOPLE SEATED IN FRONT OF SCHOOL WHERE PROTESTER WHO WAS SHOT IN THE CHEST ATTENDED (SOUNDBITE) (English) STUDENT ATTENDS THE SAME SCHOOL AS PROTESTER SHOT IN THE CHEST, 17, MANDY LEE SAYING: "(It's) ridiculous, it can't happen, and it should not be happening in Hong Kong. It really disappointed me and let me down about the policeman, and I don't know why they took this action to deal with a Form Five student. Why do you need to shoot? It's a real gun." VARIOUS OF STUDENTS STANDING OUTSIDE SCHOOL WEARING FACE MASKS (SOUNDBITE) (Cantonese) 16-YEAR-OLD'S STUDENT IN THE SAME CLASS AS PROTESTER SHOT, WHO IDENTIFIED HIMSELF BY HIS LAST NAME 'CHAN' SAYING: "I hope the matter can be investigated thoroughly and give the people an answer, and that it is not let go (without explanation)." STUDENTS WALKING INTO SCHOOL PROTESTERS, INCLUDE SOME ALUMNI OF THE SECONDARY SCHOOLS IN THE AREA, GATHERED AT THE GATE FIST PLACED OVER HEART TO SHOW SOLIDARITY
- Embargoed: 16th October 2019 04:11
- Keywords: Hong Kong point-blank shooting police protester student school
- Location: HONG KONG, CHINA
- City: HONG KONG, CHINA
- Country: Hong Kong
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA001AZEK11J
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: About 200 protesters, including secondary students in the same class as a protester who was shot point-blank by police, held a demonstration outside his school on Wednesday (October 2).
Protesters outside Tsuen Wan Public Ho Chuen Yiu Memorial College chanted "Free Hong Kong", condemned the police and urged a thorough investigation into the shooting.
Anti-government protests turned violent early on Tuesday (October 1) and continued into the night, with intense cat-and-mouse skirmishes marring celebrations in Beijing to mark the 70th anniversary of the founding of the People's Republic of China on October 1.
Protesters have previously been hit with bean bags rounds and rubber bullets and officers have fired live rounds in the air, but this was the first time a demonstrator had been shot with a live round.
Police said the officer involved was under serious threat and acted in accordance with official guidelines. The man was conscious when taken to hospital, police added, but his condition was not immediately available on Wednesday.
(Production: Yiming Woo)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None