- Title: Mali army attack victims' families demand information
- Date: 2nd October 2019
- Summary: BAMAKO, MALI (OCTOBER 2, 2019) (REUTERS) TYRES BURNING PEOPLE GATHERING VARIOUS OF PEOPLE GATHERED IN FRONT OF MALIAN PARACHUTIST COMMANDO BASE VARIOUS OF WOMEN AND CHILDREN SITTING ON ROAD UNIDENTIFIED WIFE OF SOLDIER TALKING (SOUNDBITE) (Bambara) UNIDENTIFIED WIFE OF SOLDIER BASED IN BOULKESSI BASE, SAYING: "It's the red berets that are based in Boulkessi outpost, we learnt there were attacked on Sunday, at this moment we don't have any news from our husbands. We learned that some of them are dead and that others have disappeared but we've not received any concrete news about them. Since the attack, no army chief came to us, there has been no reactions from leaders and no national mourning." PEOPLE GATHERED TYRES AND DEBRIS BURNING ON ROAD (SOUNDBITE) (Bambara) SON OF RED BERET, AMADOU DEMBELE, SAYING: "We demand the authorities give information on the situation of our parents who are based in Boulkessi. We also demand our soldiers be equipped according to the mission they are assigned to otherwise we will stop any reinforcement leaving this camp to go north." WOMEN WITH RED HEADSCARVES TALKING WOMAN WITH T-SHIRT SAYING (French): "No to thieving generals" VARIOUS OF PEOPLE GATHERED ON MAIN ROAD/ SMALL FIRE BURNING ON ROAD
- Embargoed: 16th October 2019 20:55
- Keywords: jihadist attack mali malian soldiers families
- Location: BAMAKO, MALI
- City: BAMAKO, MALI
- Country: Mali
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Insurgencies
- Reuters ID: LVA001AZEPDTZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Families of Malian soldiers based in outposts targeted in suspected jihadist attacks gathered in the capital Bamako on Wednesday (October 2) to demand clear information on the fate of their husbands and fathers.
Twenty-five Malian soldiers were killed and 60 are missing after suspected jihadists attacked two army camps in central Mali on Monday (September 30), the government said in a statement.
The authorities earlier said military posts at Boulkessi and Mondoro had been targeted, but did not indicate the number of casualties.
Wives and children of soldiers based in Boulkessi said they had no information on the fate of their family members. They gathered in front of the Parachutist Commando base in Bamako, burned tyres and demanded answers from the government.
The toll is among the highest suffered by Malian forces this year as they struggle to contain militant groups with links to al Qaeda or Islamic State that have set up operations in parts of Mali from where they launch attacks across the Sahel.
(Production: Idrissa Sangare, Christophe Van Der Perre)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None