- Title: Paris police employee stabs four to death in force HQ before being shot dead
- Date: 3rd October 2019
- Summary: PARIS, FRANCE (OCTOBER 3, 2019) (REUTERS) POLICE OFFICERS WALKING TOWARDS ENTRANCE OF POLICE PREFECTURE VARIOUS OF PEOPLE BEING EVACUATED FROM BUILDING FORENSIC POLICE ARRIVING (SOUNDBITE) (French) REPRESENTATIVE OF ALLIANCE POLICE UNION, LOIC TRAVERS, SAYING: "A tragedy took place this afternoon around 1 p.m. (1100GMT) inside the police prefecture. As I speak to you now, it has been confirmed that five people were killed, including the person behind the knife attack. Of course, it's extremely shocking. Our colleagues are not past this tragic event." POLICE OUTSIDE STATION HELICOPTER FLYING ABOVE (SOUNDBITE) (French) REPRESENTATIVE OF ALLIANCE POLICE UNION, LOIC TRAVERS, SAYING: "The suspect, who is dead, began the act in his office before going to other places inside the police station. He killed four victims, whose positions we still don't know. The motive at this time is not known. Was it someone who went off the rails? Was it for another reason? It's still too early to say." POLICE TYING POLICE LINE ON POST POLICE AND PEOPLE IN STREET POLICE STANDING GUARD (SOUNDBITE) (French) REPRESENTATIVE OF ALLIANCE POLICE UNION, LOIC TRAVERS, SAYING: "This colleague, who was the attacker, was an administrative colleague who has been in house for 20 years, as we would say in our jargon, in the police prefecture. His last position was in intelligence services. He strictly did not show any problems." EXTERIOR OF POLICE PREFECTURE POLICE OUTSIDE BUILDING VARIOUS OF POLICE VEHICLES ON AND NEAR BRIDGE POLICE NEAR BRIDGE SEINE RIVER, BRIDGE IN BACKGROUND FRENCH AND EUROPEAN FLAGS FLYING
- Embargoed: 17th October 2019 14:34
- Keywords: police armed man security knife attack
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE
- City: PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice,Crime
- Reuters ID: LVA001AZJN7EV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A police administrative worker went on a knife rampage inside the force's headquarters on Thursday (October 3), killing four people before being shot dead by an officer, police officials said.
There was no official word on the motive for the attack, which took place in the heart of the French capital near to Notre-Dame de Paris cathedral.
The area around the police headquarters was sealed off and the nearest metro station was shut for security reasons, the transport authority said.
President Emmanuel Macron is expected to visit the scene later on Thursday.
A police official and member of the collective "Police up in Anger," which advocates for better conditions for officers, was quoted by franceinfo radio as saying the assailant had experienced issues with his supervisor.
An official at the prosecutor's anti-terrorism office said that for now his office was not leading the investigation.
(Production: Antony Paone, Noemie Olive, Ardee Napolitano)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None