- Title: 'Nazi leader' artefacts displayed at Argentine Holocaust museum
- Date: 3rd October 2019
- Summary: PHOTO ALLEGEDLY TAKEN BY HOFFMANN
- Embargoed: 17th October 2019 14:48
- Keywords: Nazi Germany Adolf Hitler final solution artefacts objects
- Location: BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA
- City: BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA
- Country: Argentina
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA002AZJLMIV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:A statue of an eagle perched on a swastika, a small bust of Adolph Hitler, indoctrination games for children: these are just some of the Nazi artefacts found recently in a collector's secret hideaway and which were on display Wednesday (October 02) in Buenos Aires' Holocaust Museum.
"The big surprise was that these (artefacts) could not have belonged to anybody who was not a high Nazi leader," says Marcelo Mindlin the president of the museum located in Argentina's capital.
The artefacts were examined by Argentine and German experts who affirmed their authenticity as Nazi relics.
In 2017, the home of Carlos Olivares, a antiques collector and seller was raided on suspicion of illegal trafficking of objects from China. The police were surprised, however, to find a secret room in the house with more than 80 Nazi items according to the chief of the Federal Police in Buenos Aires.
Olivares is currently under indictment for violation of the law protecting cultural heritage and is facing trial.
Eva Fon De Rosenthal is a 94-year-old Holocaust survivor who was at the museum's presentation of the Nazi relics Wednesday. "These (artefacts) show the power of the Nazis and the strong feelings for nazism that existed... they were fanatics," she said.
(Production: Horacio Soria, Juan Bustamante)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Footage contains photographs or artwork. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing this clip.