- Title: Klopp not angry as Liverpool escape after loss of focus
- Date: 3rd October 2019
- Summary: LIVERPOOL, ENGLAND, UK (OCTOBER 2, 2019) (REUTERS) (SOUNDBITE) (English) JUERGEN KLOPP, LIVERPOOL MANAGER, SAYING: "We did everything that they don't like, in high speed if you want, scored the three goals, could have scored more. They changed the system, that's allowed and not really a problem usually, but tonight it was for us. We changed for some reason the approach a little bit, like some were in controlling mode, some were in attacking mode and out of position, too hectic. "The main problem was we tried now to finish our situations off through the middle of the park."
- Embargoed: 17th October 2019 09:50
- Keywords: Champions League Liverpool Soccer Salzburg Klopp
- Location: LIVERPOOL, ENGLAND, UK
- City: LIVERPOOL, ENGLAND, UK
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA004AZJMFR3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Liverpool almost paid the price, in embarrassing fashion, for taking their foot off the gas as they let a three-goal lead slip against Salzburg at Anfield on Wednesday (October 2) but manager Juergen Klopp said he felt no anger after this team's 4-3 win.
The European champions played sparkling football as they flew into a 3-0 lead after 36 minutes, but on the hour mark they were pegged back to 3-3 before Mohamed Salah saved their blushes.
"It was a very important lesson for us tonight but I prefer massively to learn it in the game than to learn it after the game," said Klopp, who gave credit to Salzburg's American manager Jesse Marsch for changing their tactics.
"We did everything that they don't like, in high speed if you want, scored the three goals, could have scored more," said the German.
"They changed the system, that's allowed and not really a problem usually, but tonight it was for us. We changed for some reason the approach a little bit, like some were in controlling mode, some were in attacking mode and out of position, too hectic," he added.
Still, after losing their opening game at Napoli, Klopp was pleased his team found the resolve to get the three points.
"We won 4-3 so three points and a lot to learn from so I'm fine.
"I knew before we have to improve a lot but now everybody knows it, that's ok.
"We made it more intense than necessary but we sorted it result wise. Three points in the group, game on, now recover," he said.
"It was far away from being a perfect game but it was a typical Liverpool game, so very exciting," he said.
"I thought after the game maybe I'm angry but then I realised I'm not angry," he said.
"I respect the performance of the opponent and saw a lot of good things from us, we can do better, we will do better."
(Production: Andy Ragg)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None