- Title: 'Stop funding climate death' - activists soak UK Treasury in red paint
- Date: 3rd October 2019
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK (OCTOBER 3, 2019) (REUTERS) FACADE OF UK TREASURY / CLIMATE ACTIVISTS STANDING ON TOP OF FIRE ENGINE WITH BANNER READING (English): "STOP FUNDING CLIMATE DEATH" ACTIVIST WITH FLECKS OF RED PAINT ON FACE FOUR ACTIVISTS STANDING ON TOP OF FIRE ENGINE RED PAINT / ACTIVISTS STANDING ON TOP OF FIRE ENGINE SIGN READING (English): "HM TREASURY" FACADE OF TREASURY ACTIVIST SPRAY PAINTING FRONT OF TREASURY WITH SLOGAN READING (English) "STOP FUNDING CLIMATE DEATH" ACTIVIST SPRAY PAINTING / BEING ASKED TO STOP / SLOGAN READING (English): "STOP FUNDING CLIMATE DEATH" ACTIVISTS HOLDING BANNER READING (English): "THIS IS AN EMERGENCY" ACTIVIST WIPING TEAR FROM EYE ACTIVIST HOLDING PLACARD READING (English): "NON VIOLENT" POLICE ARRIVING AND WALKING UP TO FIRE ENGINE AND ACTIVISTS CLIMATE ACTIVIST WITH RED PAINT ON CLOTHES SITTING ON FLOOR, BEING SPOKEN TO BY POLICE POLICE STANDING OUTSIDE TREASURY POLICE STANDING BY FIRE ENGINE
- Embargoed: 17th October 2019 11:27
- Keywords: Extinction Rebellion climate change protest red paint demonstration
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Environment,Climate Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001AZJMM2V
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: ADDITIONAL COVERAGE OF THE START OF THE PROTEST INCLUDING PAINT BEING SPRAYED CAN BE FOUND IN EDIT 4130-CLIMATE-CHANGE/BRITAIN
Climate change activists used a fire engine to spray red paint at the facade of the British finance ministry on Thursday (October 3).
The activists drove up to the British Treasury in a fire engine and sprayed red paint through the hose onto the building, though at one point they lost control of the hose.
After the stunt, four activists stood atop the fire engine which had a banner saying: "Stop funding climate death". The steps of the Treasury were soaked in red paint.
Extinction Rebellion said its activists had sprayed 1,800 litres of fake blood at the Treasury. The activists also sprayed the slogan "Stop funding climate death" on the walls of the building. British police later arrested two people.
The Extinction Rebellion group disrupted London with 11 days of protests in April that it cast as the biggest act of civil disobedience in recent British history. Iconic locations were blocked, the Shell building defaced, trains stopped and Goldman Sachs targeted.
Police said they arrested four people on suspicion of criminal damage and that some roads had been closed. At the scene, police puzzled over what to do with the fire engine as the driver removed the keys.
The fire engine was purchased on eBay, the activists told Reuters.
(Production: Ben Makori, Iona Serrapica, Helena Williams)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None