- Title: Koons unveils giant 'Bouquet of Tulips' tribute to victims of 2015 Paris attacks
- Date: 4th October 2019
- Summary: PARIS FRANCE (OCTOBER 4, 2019) (REUTERS) ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** ART PIECE "BOUQUET OF TULIPS" BY AMERICAN ARTIST, JEFF KOONS, BEING UNVEILED "BOUQUET OF TULIPS" ART PIECE VARIOUS OF KOONS POSING FOR PHOTOGRAPHS WITH PARIS MAYOR ANNE HIDALGO, U.S. AMBASSADOR TO FRANCE JANE HARTLEY AND OTHERS KOONS TALKING TO JOURNALIST KOONS TALKING TO JOURNALIST WITH ART PIECE IN BACKGROUND BOTTOM OF ART PIECE PEOPLE AROUND ART PIECE VARIOUS OF ART PIECE KOONS TALKING TO JOURNALIST WITH ART PIECE IN BACKGROUND (SOUNDBITE) (English) AMERICAN ARTIST, JEFF KOONS, SAYING: "I did, as a citizen in New York experience 9/11 and the depression that hung over the city. It really took years for the city to be able to come to life again and we do have to find a way into the future, we have to be able to have a light for our children. And the terrible loss that the victims and their families have to find a way forward and so it's to show the solidarity, that we are there for them and let's find a way together forward." KOONS AND HIDALGO GREETING MEMBERS OF "13ONZE15" VICTIMS ASSOCIATION WHO LOST THEIR CHILDREN IN THE NOVEMBER 13 ATTACKS (SOUNDBITE) (French) MEMBER OF "13ONZE15" VICTIMS ASSOCIATION WHO LOST HER SON IN NOVEMBER 13 ATTACKS, DOMINIQUE KIELEMOES, SAYING: "Yes we lost a loved one, yes the mourning period is endless and infinitely sad, but we stay on our feet. And the memory, commemorations, art, everything we do that can recall the memory of our loved ones, is vital."
- Embargoed: 18th October 2019 14:10
- Keywords: Jeff Koons American artist Bataclan attack Bouquet of Tulips November 13 Paris attacks Paris bars Islamist attacks Islamic State
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE
- City: PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Art,Arts / Culture / Entertainment
- Reuters ID: LVA001AZOLPHJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: American artist Jeff Koons unveiled in Paris on Friday (October 4) his sculpture Bouquet of Tulips, a tribute to the victims of militant Islamist attacks in the French capital in November 2015.
The 12-meter (40 ft) high piece depicts a giant hand squeezing a bouquet of eleven colourful tulips, a flower that in some cultures symbolises love.
Koons said he created the Bouquet of Tulips to show Americans' support and solidarity for the French people after the attacks in which a total of 130 people were killed.
"I did, as a citizen in New York, experience 9/11 and the depression that hung over the city. It really took years for the city to be able to come to life again", Koons told reporters.
Koons said that 80% of the proceeds from selling the copyright of the artwork will go to the victims' families. The remaining 20% will be dedicated to its maintenance.
The inauguration of the artwork comes after years of dispute. The original venue for the work, near Paris landmark the Palais de Tokyo, was abandoned after officials decided it interrupted views of the Eiffel Tower, French media reported.
The venue finally chosen is near the Petit Palais, an art museum in central Paris.
(Production: Antony Paone, Manuel Ausloos, Pascale Antonie)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None