- Title: Protesters mark 51st anniversary of infamous Mexico City student massacre
- Date: 3rd October 2019
- Summary: MEXICO CITY, MEXICO (OCTOBER 02, 2019) (REUTERS) PROTESTERS VANDALIZING NEWSSTAND VARIOUS, PROTESTERS SPRAY PAINTING SIDE OF BUILDING PROTESTERS ON STREET / LOUD NOISE HEARD PROTESTERS WALKING BY BARRICADE VARIOUS, PROTESTERS IN FRONT OF BUILDING, SOME SPRAY PAINTING IT VARIOUS, POLICE ON STREET WITH TEAR GAS IN AIR PEOPLE ARGUING TEAR GAS CLOUD WAFTING / POLICE IN RIOT GEAR BEHIND (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) MEXICAN UNIVERSITY STUDENT, ALEJANDRO MOSQUEDA, SAYING: "(The march's purpose is to) get back to the historic moment that occurred in that time regarding the fight, the struggle of interests between the government at that time and the social struggle that was shown that October 2nd of '68. So, partly it's to keep the social movements current, not just student (movements), but other ones like the feminist and sexual diversity (movements) and young people to position themselves and fight for a social cause." VARIOUS, MARCHERS CARRYING BANNERS AND FLAGS (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) MEXICAN UNIVERSITY STUDENT, BRENDA RUIZ, SAYING: "I think after 51 years of the repression of a student march, there should be more visibility and support for all students, which we are not receiving." VARIOUS, POLICE IN RIOT GEAR WITH PROTESTERS IN FOREGROUND
- Embargoed: 17th October 2019 02:06
- Keywords: authoritarian rally murder students 1968 march demonstration massacre Mexico protest repression
- Location: MEXICO CITY, MEXICO
- City: MEXICO CITY, MEXICO
- Country: Mexico
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001AZJLNBB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Marchers took to the streets of Mexico City on Wednesday (October 02) to mark the 51st anniversary of the massacre of hundreds of student protesters on October 2, 1968 in Tlatelolco Square.
Much of the march was peaceful with people carrying banners through the capital city's streets to the main Zocalo square, but some protesters were seen vandalizing property as police in riot gear blocked streets.
The 1968 killings took place just days before the Olympic Games in the capital, as the government tried to quell weeks of what it saw as embarrassing demonstrations by students demanding democratic reforms in authoritarian Mexico.
The march was led by the 1968 Student Movement as well as various student organisations from the UNAM (National Autonomous University of Mexico) and the IPN (National Polytechnic Institute).
(Production: Carlos Carrillo, Alberto Fajardo)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None