- Title: Medvedev visits joint Russian-Cuban oil well
- Date: 4th October 2019
- Summary: MAYABEQUE, CUBA (OCTOBER 04, 2019) (AGENCY POOL) JOINT CUBAN-RUSSIAN OIL WELL FACILITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION CUBAN AND RUSSIAN FLAGS RUSSIAN PRIME MINISTER, DMITRY MEDVEDEV, WITH OTHER MEMBERS OF RUSSIAN DELEGATION CUBAN AND RUSSIAN OFFICIALS AT SITE CUBAN GOVERNMENT OFFICIAL AND REVOLUTIONARY HERO, RAMIRO VALDES (RIGHT) MEDVEDEV OIL DRILL NAME OF RUSSIAN BUSINESS, "ZARUBEZHNEFT," ON BANNER ON DRILL DRILL
- Embargoed: 18th October 2019 21:42
- Keywords: Cuban drilling site Russia joint venture honorary degree oil well official visit Cuba Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev
- Location: MAYABEQUE & HAVANA, CUBA
- City: MAYABEQUE & HAVANA, CUBA
- Country: Cuba
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001AZOODVR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev visited a joint Cuban-Russian oil well and later received an honorary degree from the University of Havana during an official visit to the Caribbean nation on Friday (October 04).
Moscow has sought to renew its commercial, military and political ties with Cuba in recent years, as part of a broader strategy to expand its presence in Latin America as a counterweight to China and the United States. On Thursday (October 03), it signed a series of new agreements to strengthen cultural and economic exchange.
Russia's support for Cuba is insignificant compared to the role the Soviet Union once played, but analysts have said it is still very welcome as the island's economy suffers from a steep decline in Venezuelan aid and U.S. sanctions. Above all, Medvedev's visit - the highest profile Russian tour since that of President Vladimir Putin in 2014 - is symbolically important, they said.
Russia has in particular the capacity to help Cuba out of its current fuel crisis which Havana blames on U.S. sanctions on energy shipments to the island, although it remains unclear whether it is willing to make such a large commitment.
(Production: Mario Fuentes, Rodrigo Gutierrez)
- Copyright Holder: POOL (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None