- Title: 'Jovenel has to step down' - Haitians protest President Moise
- Date: 4th October 2019
- Summary: PORT-AU-PRINCE, HAITI (OCTOBER 04, 2019) (REUTERS) TIRES BURNING ON STREET TEAR GAS WAFTING ON STREET WITH POLICE BEHIND PEOPLE RUNNING DOWN STREET BURNING TIRES CROWD OF PEOPLE DANCING TO MUSIC AS THEY MARCH TOWARD THE HEADQUARTERS OF THE UNITED NATIONS IN HAITI TO PROTEST INTERNATIONAL SUPPORT FOR THE GOVERNMENT OF HAITIAN PRESIDENT, JOVENEL MOISE VARIOUS, PEOPLE PLAYING DRUMS AT MARCH VARIOUS, CROWD OF MARCHERS ON STREET HAITIAN PROTESTER, ADNEL DESSIN, HOLDING SIGN READING (English) "JOVENEL MOISE MUST LEAVE NOW!" (SOUNDBITE) (Creole) HAITIAN PROTESTER, ADNEL DESSIN, SAYING: "We're in the street to say that it is not normal that the Core Group (group of nations and international organizations) and the international community continue supporting (President) Jovenel Moise even though every day there are new deaths. The police are repressing (protesters). Jovenel is a liar, a criminal, corrupt, a murderer, a cancer." PROTESTER HOLDING SIGN READING (English) "NANCY PELOSI AND FREDRICKA (sic) WILSON - THANK FOR YOUR SUPPORT" PEOPLE CARRYING SYMBOLIC COFFIN PROTESTER HOLDING SIGN READING (English) "AMERICA COME TAKE YOUR CORRUPT & GANGSTER PRESIDENT IN HAITI THAT YOU GIVE TO US IN FRADILOUS (sic) ELECTIONS." CROWD MARCHING (SOUNDBITE) (Creole) UNIDENTIFIED HAITIAN PROTESTER, SAYING: "We're going to the United Nations to say to them if (President Moise) is good for them, they can have him. But, for us in this country he is not good. They are killing people. They have their own group of criminals that are killing our children. Today we say enough. Jovenel has to step down and leave the country for someone who can govern." CROWD OF PROTESTERS VARIOUS, PROTESTERS CARRYING SIGNS, CHANTING
- Embargoed: 18th October 2019 20:41
- Keywords: Haiti protest violence march Haitian President Jovenel Moise U.N. support opposition
- Location: PORT-AU-PRINCE, HAITI
- City: PORT-AU-PRINCE, HAITI
- Country: Haiti
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001AZOOBIF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Haitians marched to the headquarters of the United Nations on Friday (October 04) to protest international support for President Jovenel Moise in the latest manifestation against widespread food and fuel shortages, a weakening currency, double-digit inflation and graft accusations lodged against public officials in the impoverished Caribbean nation.
Police fired tear gas as tires burned in the middle of a Port-au-Prince street, while protesters held signs with messages in English reading "Jovenel must leave now."
"Jovenel is a liar, a criminal, corrupt, a murderer, a cancer," said protester Adnel Dessin.
Many Haitians have called for Moise to stand down after what they describe as a failure to address Haiti's myriad problems.
Four people have been killed in clashes in recent weeks.
(Production: Robenson Sanson)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None