- Title: Russian PM Medvedev meets Raul Castro in Havana visit
- Date: 4th October 2019
- Summary: INTERIOR OF BUILDING
- Embargoed: 18th October 2019 05:56
- Keywords: Cuba Russia Havana Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev former president Raul Castro Capitolio
- Location: HAVANA, CUBA
- City: HAVANA, CUBA
- Country: Cuba
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA004AZOKJLZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev met with former Cuban president Raul Castro on Thursday (October 3), during an official visit to Havana to boost ties between the two allies amidst escalating pressure from the United States.
Moscow has sought to renew its commercial, military and political ties with Cuba in recent years, as part of a broader strategy to expand its presence in Latin America as a counterweight to China and the United States. On Thursday, it signed a series of new agreements to strengthen cultural and economic exchange.
Russia's support for Cuba is insignificant compared to the role the Soviet Union once played, but analysts have said it is still very welcome as the island's economy suffers from a steep decline in Venezuelan aid and U.S. sanctions. Above all, Medvedev's visit - the highest profile Russian tour since that of President Vladimir Putin in 2014 - is symbolically important, they said.
Russia has in particular the capacity to help Cuba out of its current fuel crisis which Havana blames on U.S. sanctions on energy shipments to the island, although it remains unclear whether it is willing to make such a large commitment.
(Production: Rodrigo Gutierrez)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None