- Title: Courtois suffering stomach problem, not anxiety say Real
- Date: 4th October 2019
- Summary: MADRID, SPAIN (FILE - SEPTEMBER 21, 2019) (REUTERS) GOALKEEPER THIBAUT COURTOIS WATCHING BALL COURTOIS AND TEAMMATES RUNNING DURING SESSION MADRID, SPAIN (FILE - SEPTEMBER 27, 2019) (REUTERS) COURTOIS CHASING BALL DURING SESSION, TALKING TO DEFENDER MILITAO MADRID, SPAIN (FILE - SEPTEMBER 30, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF COURTOIS DURING SESSION
- Embargoed: 18th October 2019 13:49
- Keywords: Real Madrid against Granada coach Zinedine Zidane Eden Hazard La Liga soccer Spain
- Location: MADRID, SPAIN
- City: MADRID, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA002AZON1OF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Real Madrid coach Zinedine Zidane defended under-fire goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois on Friday (October 4) following criticism for his lacklustre start to the season.
The Belgian was jeered during Tuesday's disappointing 2-2 Champions League draw at home with Club Bruges as the visitors raced into a shock two-goal lead.
He was substituted at half time with an issue that will keep him out of Saturday's top-of-the-table clash with second-placed Granada in La Liga.
In a statement on Friday, Real denied local media reports suggesting the Belgian had been diagnosed with anxiety.
The club said the player was suffering from 'acute gastro-enteritis with dehydration and an electrolyte imbalance', an issue Zidane confirmed.
Alphonse Areola, who replaced Courtois in midweek, will deputise.
Zidane is facing yet another injury crisis in defence ahead of the visit of the newly promoted side after confirming that left back Marcelo, who did not train, will be absent with a hamstring injury.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None