- Title: Police 'struck at the heart' after stabbing at Paris police HQ kills four
- Date: 4th October 2019
- Summary: FRENCH FLAG TIED WITH BLACK RIBBON AT POLICE PREFECTURE POLICE AND PEOPLE OUTSIDE PREFECTURE VARIOUS OF POLICE OUTSIDE PREFECTURE SIGN FOR POLICE PREFECTURE
- Embargoed: 18th October 2019 13:26
- Keywords: France police prefecture stabbing police headquarters police officers Paris police station
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE / INTERNET
- City: PARIS, FRANCE / INTERNET
- Country: France
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice,Crime
- Reuters ID: LVA002AZOLQ9Z
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: France's police force was "struck at the heart" by a knife attack in Paris that killed four employees, French newspapers wrote on Friday (October 4).
A 45-year-old IT assistant at the police headquarters in central Paris went on a knife rampage inside the building on Thursday (October 3), killing three police officers and an administrative worker before he was shot dead by an officer, French officials said.
Dozens gathered on Friday morning to hold a minute of silence in memory of the victims, a photograph from the prefecture's Twitter showed, as a French flag tied with a black ribbon hung outside the building,
For some Parisians, the attack was "shocking" considering it took place in one of the city's most secure places.
Officials did not say anything about the motive for the attack and they said they were still trying to discover if there was a terrorism link.
The attack took place the day after thousands of policemen marched around the French capital to decry poor working conditions and anti-police sentiments, which they said were on the rise in recent months.
(Production: Noemie Olive, Antony Paone and Ardee Napolitano)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None