- Title: Pet blessing and fashion show honours Catholic feast in the Philippines
- Date: 6th October 2019
- Summary: MANILA, PHILIPPINES (OCTOBER 6, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF CATHOLIC PRIEST SPRINKLING HOLY WATER TO FILIPINOS AND THEIR PETS VARIOUS OF FILIPINOS RAISING THEIR PETS FOR BLESSING PRIEST SPRINKLING HOLY WATER VARIOUS OF FILIPINOS HOLDING PETS WHILE QUEUING (SOUNDBITE) (English) EASTWOOD CITY MARKETING HEAD, TAFEL PESIGAN-VALENTINO, SAYING: "It's about responsible pet ownership and it brings the family together, so if you look at the country today, pet parents consider their pets as part of the family anymore, not just a pet, and having a place or a celebration like this that welcomes them, that includes them, is very important for them to have quality time and fun together." MASS IN PROGRESS FILIPINOS WITH PETS STANDING WOMAN IN COSTUME PERFORMING SIGN OF THE CROSS (SOUNDBITE) (Filipino) DOG PET OWNER, RAM DE CASTRO, SAYING: "They are like humans to us, so we need to have them blessed and make sure they do not get sick, and continue being with me." PET OWNERS LISTENING TO MASS VARIOUS OF WHITE POMERANIAN OWNER, MARICHIE ESPINAS-FLORES DRESSING PET POMERANIAN (SOUNDBITE) (Filipino) WHITE POMERANIAN OWNER, MARICHIE ESPINAS-FLORES, SAYING: "He's my buddy, like my friends. If they are not available, he's the one I bring along as toy dog, since I can bring him anywhere, and that's one of the benefits. I have a buddy with me, and it gives me confidence since many are fascinated by him and at the same time it makes me happy." VARIOUS OF ORPHANED CAT OWNER, ANNA PADRILAO, HOLDING PET (SOUNDBITE) (Filipino) ORPHANED CAT OWNER, ANNA PADRILAO, SAYING: "He's like my son. For me, since he's made by God, then he should be blessed by God. Even if he's an animal or a human, he should be blessed and get closer to God." OWNERS WITH PETS VARIOUS OF WOMAN HOLDING SQUIRREL
- Embargoed: 20th October 2019 12:43
- Keywords: pets Phlippines blessing animals Filippinos mass cats Catholic dogs
- Location: MANILA, PHILIPPINES
- City: MANILA, PHILIPPINES
- Country: Philippines
- Topics: Religion/Belief,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA001AZYJ5G9
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: More than a hundred pet owners in Manila had their pet companions blessed on Sunday (October 6) in an annual Catholic feast and World Animal Day.
A Catholic priest held a special mass for the pets and sprinkled holy water at the crowd of mostly dogs and cats as a symbolic veneration of Saint Francis of Assisi, the patron saint of animals.
Many of the pet owners also dressed their four-legged friends in colourful costumes, while some joined a fashion show and put their bonds in the spotlight.
World Animal Day falls on October 4, a day that Catholics celebrate the feast of Saint Francis of Assisi.
(Production: Jay Ereno, Peter Blaza)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None