- Title: North Korean and U.S. negotiators gather for nuclear talks in Sweden
- Date: 5th October 2019
- Summary: STOCKHOLM, SWEDEN (OCTOBER 5, 2019) (REUTERS) CAR CARRYING U.S. SPECIAL ENVOY FOR NORTH KOREA, STEPHEN BIEGUN, DRIVING TO VILLA ELFVIK CONFERENCE CENTRE FOR TALKS ON PYONGYANG'S NUCLEAR PROGRAMME POLICE AT ENTRANCE TO CONFERENCE CENTRE SIGN FOR CONFERENCE CENTRE CAR CARRYING NORTH KOREAN DELEGATION ARRIVING VARIOUS OF REPORTERS AND POLICE AT ENTRANCE TO CONFERENCE CENTRE
- Embargoed: 19th October 2019 10:01
- Keywords: U.S. delegation denuclearization meeting nuclear talks North Korean delegation Stephen Biegun Kim Myong Gil
- Location: STOCKHOLM, SWEDEN
- City: STOCKHOLM, SWEDEN
- Country: Sweden
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001AZTKCAV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: U.S. and North Korean officials arrived to begin nuclear talks at an isolated conference centre on the outskirts of Stockholm on Saturday (October 5), in an attempt to end months of stalemate.
The meeting will be the first formal working-level talks since U.S. President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un met in June and agreed to restart negotiations that stalled after a failed summit in Vietnam in February.
Police had closed off the approaches to the complex facing the Baltic Sea on the island of Lidingo, where the delegations led by U.S. Special Representative for North Korea Stephen Biegun and North Korea's Kim Myong Gil were expected to meet.
Two motorcades entered the secluded centre early on Saturday with a police officer confirming one carried the North Korean officials. The other included cars used by Biegun when he met Swedish officials at the Foreign Ministry on Friday (October 4).
The delegation from North Korea, which is under sanctions banning much of its trade due to its nuclear programme, arrived in Sweden on Thursday (October 3) after Pyongyang unexpectedly announced this week that talks would take place on Oct. 5.
A spokesman for the Swedish Foreign Ministry, which has so far not confirmed anything about the talks, declined to comment.
(Production: Philip O'Connor, Vin Shahrestani)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None