- Title: Prince Harry's case against papers a "high risk strategy" - lawyer
- Date: 4th October 2019
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (FILE - AUGUST 13, 2018) (REUTERS) BRITISH TABLOID NEWSPAPERS
- Embargoed: 18th October 2019 22:30
- Keywords: Royals media papers Duke and Duchess of Sussex
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND / CAPE TOWN, SOUTH AFRICA / INTERNET
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND / CAPE TOWN, SOUTH AFRICA / INTERNET
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Royals
- Reuters ID: LVA001AZOO5ZB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Britain's Prince Harry is to sue the publishers of Rupert Murdoch's Sun newspaper and the Daily Mirror over allegations of phone-hacking, as he and his wife Meghan stepped up their battle with the tabloid press on Friday (October 4).
The move by Harry, Duke of Sussex, comes days after he and Meghan took legal action against a different newspaper in response to what he called "bullying" by some sections of the British media.
A lawyer said the move by the Prince was a "high risk strategy" as the royals could end up being cross examined in court.
"Claims have been filed on behalf of The Duke of Sussex at the High Court regarding the illegal interception of voicemail messages," a spokeswoman for Harry said. She declined to give further details of the claim.
A spokeswoman for News Group Newspapers, publisher of The Sun, confirmed that a claim had been issued by Harry.
Harry was one target in a phone-hacking scandal that rocked Murdoch's newspaper empire and prompted the closure of his News of the World tabloid in 2011.
(Production: Emily Cooper)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None