- Title: Portugal heads to polls, Socialists set to remain in power
- Date: 6th October 2019
- Summary: LISBON, PORTUGAL (OCTOBER 6, 2019) (REUTERS) WOMAN CASTING HER VOTE IN POLLING STATION BALLOT BOX MAN CASTING HIS VOTE WOMAN WALKING TO VOTING BOOTH, ELECTION OFFICIALS SEATED VARIOUS OF ELECTION OFFICIAL SEALING BALLOT BOX WITH WAX ELECTION OFFICIAL CHECKING LIST WOMAN CASTING HER VOTE
- Embargoed: 20th October 2019 08:37
- Keywords: parliamentary elections Lisbon polling station Prime Minister Antonio Costa Socialists
- Location: LISBON, PORTUGAL
- City: LISBON, PORTUGAL
- Country: Portugal
- Topics: Government/Politics,Elections/Voting
- Reuters ID: LVA001AZYKMDJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Portugal began voting in parliamentary elections on Sunday (October 6), its first with the economy growing above the EU average and public accounts almost balanced.
Prime Minister Antonio Costa's minority Socialists are expected to be rewarded for the fiscal and economic stability with more parliamentary seats but still no full majority. Costa would either have to renew his deal with the far-left for support in parliament or seek new partners.
When the Socialists took power in 2015, Costa won the parliamentary support of two far-left, Eurosceptic parties, the Left Bloc and the Communists.
But, four years on, the love affair has waned. The hard left is demanding more public spending and has accused Costa of veering to the right. Costa has already ruled out a formal coalition government but may try to renew his pact with one of the parties, or both.
(Production: Marco Trujillo, Vin Shahrestani)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None