- Title: Dozens stage counter-protest as thousands march against IVF bill in Paris
- Date: 6th October 2019
- Summary: PARIS FRANCE (OCTOBER 6, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS MARCHING WITH RAINBOW FLAGS YOUNG PROTESTER AND OLDER BYSTANDER ARGUING ELDERLY BYSTANDER BEING KICKED BY PROTESTER OLDER WOMEN COMPLAINING TO POLICE POLICE IN RIOT GEAR BLOCKING STREET POLICE RUNNING TO BLOCK OFF PROTESTERS VARIOUS OF POLICE STANDING IN MIDDLE OF STREET GROUP OF PROTESTERS CHANTING SLOGANS ACROSS BUSY STREET POLICE RUSHING TO BLOCK STREET WITH PROTESTERS FLEEING IN BACKGROUND PROTESTERS FLEEING POLICE YOUNG PROTESTER BEING ARRESTED AND TAKEN AWAY BY POLICE IN METRO STATION VARIOUS OF REMAINING PROTESTERS GATHERED ON METRO PLATFORM PROTESTERS EXITING METRO STATION VARIOUS OF POLICE VANS SPEEDING BY PROTESTERS RUNNING FROM POLICE VARIOUS OF POLICE PUSHING SMALL GROUP OF PROTESTERS FORWARD POLICE OFFICERS WALKING IN STREET
- Embargoed: 20th October 2019 15:35
- Keywords: France IVF assisted procreation counter-protest conservative groups La Manif pour tous Paris
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE
- City: PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Lawmaking,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001AZYL2YV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CAN BE USED IN CONJUNCTION WITH EDIT 6114-FRANCE-REFORM/IVF-PROTESTS-PREVIEW, WHICH CONTAINS IMAGES OF SPERM BEING INJECTED INTO OOCYTE AT LABORATORY AND INTERVIEWS WITH PRO- AND ANTI-ASSISTED PROCREATION ACTIVISTS
Dozens of pro-IVF protesters unsuccessfully attempted to disturb an anti-medically assisted procreation (PMA) demonstration that took place at the same time in Paris on Sunday (October 6).
The group, mostly composed of young students waving rainbow flags, chanted anti-fascist and pro-LGBT slogans as they tried to bypass police to reach the anti-IVF protest's rally point.
The counter-demonstration coincided with a protest organised by around 20 anti-IVF groups, many of them conservative, that saw thousands march in the French capital on Sunday.
The counter-march was mostly peaceful, but quarrels between protesters and bystanders erupted, leading to a few brief scuffles. At least one member of the cortege was taken away by police.
The number of demonstrators dwindled along the march as police succeeded to divide the group and prevent it to reassemble. At around 2:40 p.m., one and a half hours after the start of the demonstration, most of the participants had been dispersed.
Both protests were taking place in the wake of the introduction of a bioethics bill currently being debated in parliament, which would extend access to the PMA to single women and lesbian couples.
Until now, lesbian couples and single women in France wishing to bear children have to seek procedures abroad, most commonly in Belgium and Spain, forcing them to spend thousands of euros, to take a leave of absence and to see a new set of doctors.
(Production: Manuel Ausloos)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None