- Title: Hong Kong police fire tear gas as protesters defy emergency law
- Date: 6th October 2019
- Summary: HONG KONG, CHINA (OCTOBER 6, 2019) (REUTERS) TEAR GAS FIRED INTO PROTESTERS PROTESTERS WITH FACE MASKS HOLDING UMBRELLAS AND WAITING POLICE FIRING TEAR GAS VARIOUS OF PROTESTER TURNING ON WATER TAP POLICE FIRING TEAR GAS TEAR GAS FALLING AMONG PROTESTERS TEAR GAS CANNISTER EMITTING GAS PROTESTERS THROWING BACK TEAR GAS TOWARDS POLICE POLICE FIRING TEAR GAS VARIOUS OF PROTESTER HOLDING UMBRELLAS RUNNING DOWN ROAD POLICE FIRING TEAR GAS FROM BRIDGE PROTESTERS CARRYING UMBRELLAS MARCHING ON
- Embargoed: 20th October 2019 10:17
- Keywords: Hong Kong police tear gas emergency law protesters
- Location: HONG KONG, CHINA
- City: HONG KONG, CHINA
- Country: Hong Kong
- Topics: Government/Politics,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA001AZYJ70N
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Hong Kong police fired tear gas on Sunday (October 6) as protesters defied an emergency law and marched wearing masks through the Chinese-controlled city, witnesses said.
There was no obvious reason for the tear gas, as the rally at Pacific Place on Hong Kong island seemed peaceful, said one witness.
Tens of thousands of protesters wore face masks in defiance of colonial-era emergency powers that threaten them with a year in prison for hiding their faces.
Hong Kong police were bracing for two major protests, fearing a recurrence of Friday night's violent protests that saw the Asian financial center virtually shut down the next day.
(Production: Joyce Zhou, Sophia Soo)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None