- Title: Hong Kong protesters march in the rain
- Date: 6th October 2019
- Summary: (SOUNDBITE) (Cantonese) PROTESTER WHO IDENTIFIED HIMSELF AS SAMUEL, 23, SAYING: "Carrie Lam is trying to use the ban to keep us from coming out, I want to tell her that this is counter-productive, she's just targeting the symptoms, but not the root causes. She is suppressing our right to express ourselves, this will only push us further." VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS WALKING PAST WOMAN EATING IN RESTAURANT VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS GATHERED PROTESTERS CHANTING SIGN READING (English): "FREE HK" VARIOUS OF PROTEST IN PROGRESS
- Embargoed: 20th October 2019 09:40
- Keywords: Hong Kong protesters rain
- Location: HONG KONG, CHINA
- City: HONG KONG, CHINA
- Country: Hong Kong
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA003AZYJ3UV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Hong Kong protesters marched in the rain on Sunday (October 6) while wearing face masks, in defiance against a ban on them that started on Saturday (October 5) at midnight.
Hong Kong's rail operator reopened part of its metro system on Sunday after an unprecedented shutdown, but kept many typically busy stations closed, as the Chinese-ruled city braces for large demonstrations expected later in the day.
Participants took part in two major protests, one on the island and another on the Kowloon peninsula.
Violent protests had erupted across the Asian financial center soon after Lam wielded the colonial-era powers for the first time in more than 50 years to order the ban in hopes of curbing months of unrest.
(Production: Yuddy Cahya, Ronn Bautista, Joyce Zhou, Afiq Satikin, Yiming Woo)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None