- Title: Moulin Rouge cabaret celebrates 130th anniversary with spectacular show
- Date: 7th October 2019
- Summary: (SOUNDBITE) (French) MOULIN ROUGE DANCER, ESMERALDA ALBERT, SAYING: "That's an amazing moment, we are lucky to experience it. It's not everyday you can be part of the 130th birthday of the Moulin. I feel truly lucky to have participated in it, to have been here, along with the crowd and great weather."
- Embargoed: 21st October 2019 09:48
- Keywords: Moulin Rouge Cabaret Paris Anniversary French cancan
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE
- City: PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment
- Reuters ID: LVA002B03LTMV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:PLEASE NOTE: SEE EDIT 5129-FRANCE-ART/TOULOUSE-LAUTREC FOR RELATED EDIT, AND ARCHIVE IMAGES OF MOULIN ROUGE
The Moulin Rouge, the French cabaret famous for its high-kicking cancan dancers and flesh-exposing ostrich feather costumes, celebrated its 130th anniversary on Sunday (October 6) in Paris.
Around 50 dancers performed on the street outside the iconic red windmill, with fireworks and light shows illuminating the 15-minute spectacle, as thousands of spectators watched on.
Police blocked off the street in Paris's 18th arrondissement, to allow the audience to watch the show.
The Moulin Rouge was founded in Oct. 6, 1889 and saw its heyday during France's "Belle epoque". A 2001 romantic movie starring Nicole Kidman revolved around the renowned cabaret.
The performances at the Moulin Rouge still hold true to the traditions established at the cabaret's founding, when women who made a living washing linen by day transformed themselves into dancers at night.
Nowadays, two performances of the "Feerie" show take place every evening and are almost always sold out. Around 600,000 people flock to the theatre yearly.
(Production: Martin Esposito, Manuel Ausloos)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None