- Title: Tear gas in Hong Kong during protests
- Date: 6th October 2019
- Summary: HONG KONG, CHINA (OCTOBER 6, 2019) (REUTERS) TEAR GAS FIRED / PROTESTERS THROWING CANISTERS AWAY PROTESTERS SHROUDED IN TEAR GAS PROTESTERS SPRAYING TEAR GAS CANISTERS WITH WATER PROTESTERS RUNNING AMONGST TEAR GAS PROTESTERS COLLECTING TEAR GAS CANISTERS POLICE FIRING TEAR GAS PROTESTERS POLICE HOLDING UP BLACK FLAG VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS WITH UMBRELLAS RUNNING PAST
- Embargoed: 20th October 2019 11:34
- Keywords: Hong Kong protest tear gas arrests
- Location: HONG KONG, CHINA
- City: HONG KONG, CHINA
- Country: Hong Kong
- Topics: Government/Politics,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA001AZYJ7T3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Police fired tear gas in several places in Hong Kong on Sunday (October 6) but there was no obvious sign of violence, with protesters ignoring the gas, dousing the canisters with water or tossing them back at police.
Tens of thousands of protesters marched through central Hong Kong on Sunday wearing face masks in defiance of colonial-era emergency powers which threaten them with a year in prison for hiding their faces.
Police said protesters were participating in unlawful assemblies, blocking major roads, and warned they would soon begin "dispersal operations on Hong Kong island," ordering protesters to leave immediately.
Authorities are bracing for two major protests on Sunday, fearing a recurrence of Friday (October 4) night's violent protests which saw the Asian financial center virtually shut down the next day.
(Production: Ronn Bautista, Afiq Satikin, Yiming Woo)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None