- Title: London climate change activists glue hands to ground on day of mass action
- Date: 7th October 2019
- Summary: PROTESTERS WEARING RED DRESSES HOLDING FISTS UP, WALKING PAST ACTIVISTS PLAYING DRUMS VARIOUS OF ACTIVISTS DANCING PROTESTERS GATHERED NEAR DOWNING STREET (SOUNDBITE) (English) CLIMATE CHANGE ACTIVIST, JAKE LYNCH, SAYING: "Well it's now five months since parliament declared a climate emergency, and yet we've seen no emergency legislation brought forward to take effective action to stem the climate crisis. So we're still subsidising fossil fuels, more than any other countries in Europe, globally carbon emissions are still increasing, we're heading in precisely the wrong direction. We here at Extinction Rebellion are taking action to interrupt the flow of normality, because it is that flow that is carrying us towards disaster." VARIOUS OF ACTIVISTS IN SLEEPING BAGS LYING ON GROUND SIGN READING (English): "STOP ECOCIDE CHANGE THE LAW" PROTESTERS SITTING ON GROUND EXTINCTION REBELLION FLAGS DOGS DRAPED IN PEACE SIGNS WALKING AWAY / PROTESTERS GATHERED NEAR DOWNING STREET MATERIAL BANNER POLICE ARRESTING ELDERLY MAN PAINTING GRAFFITI ON BUILDING WALL ELDERLY MAN BEING PUT IN POLICE VAN PHOTOGRAPHER TAKING A PICTURE OF GRAFFITI ON BUILDING WALL, READING (English): "LIFE NOT DEATH FOR MY GRANDCHILDREN"
- Embargoed: 21st October 2019 13:55
- Keywords: extinction rebellion climate change activists arrests protesters downing street
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Environment
- Reuters ID: LVA003B03MEYV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Climate change activists glued themselves to the ground outside UK government buildings in London on Monday (October 7) at the start of two weeks of planned peaceful civil disobedience.
Activists blocked roads, bridges and squares all over London's government district of Westminster to call on politicians to take urgent action to curb carbon emissions.
London's Metropolitan Police have arrested 135 people taking part in protests organised by the climate change protest group Extinction Rebellion, the police said on Monday.
The group expects 10,000 people will come to the capital from across Britain to join the two-week protest, which is part of a coordinated international movement. There were similar climate protests on Monday in Berlin, Vienna, Amsterdam, Madrid and other cities around the world.
(Production: Ben Makroi, Iona Serrapica)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None