- Title: Climate protesters block streets around world
- Date: 7th October 2019
- Summary: VARIOUS OF POLICE ATTEMPTING TO REMOVE CLIMATE CHANGE PROTESTERS CHAINED TO CAR
- Embargoed: 21st October 2019 15:16
- Keywords: Climate change protests extinction rebellion demonstrations
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM / SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA / AMSTERDAM, THE NETHERLANDS / BERLIN, GERMANY
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM / SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA / AMSTERDAM, THE NETHERLANDS / BERLIN, GERMANY
- Country: Various
- Topics: Environment,Climate Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA002B03MOG7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS NOTE: THIS IS A HIGHLIGHTS WRAP OF MATERIAL THAT HAS ALREADY BEEN PUBLISHED. IT DOES NOT CONTAIN ANY FRESH MATERIAL
Thousands of climate activists took to the streets of cities around the world on Monday (October 7), launching two weeks of peaceful civil disobedience to demand immediate action to cut carbon emissions and avert an ecological disaster.
In London, police arrested 135 activists from the Extinction Rebellion group as they blocked bridges and roads in the city centre, and glued themselves to cars, while protesters in Berlin halted traffic at the Victory Column roundabout.
Dutch police stepped in to arrest more than 100 climate change activists blocking a street in front of the country's national museum and there were similar protests in Austria, Spain, New Zealand and Australia.
The protests are part of an international two-week campaign coordinated by Extinction Rebellion, a campaign group that rose to prominence in April when it disrupted traffic in central London for 11 days.
Extinction Rebellion says it expects peaceful protests over the next two weeks in more than 60 cities from New Delhi to New York, to call on governments to reduce greenhouse gas emissions to net zero by 2025 and halt a loss of biodiversity.
(Production: Leon Malherbe, Oliver Ellrodt, Fanny Brodersen, Bart Meijer, Peter Nicholls, Rosalind Church)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.