- Title: U.S. troops have started withdrawing from northern Syria - Erdogan
- Date: 7th October 2019
- Summary: ANKARA, TURKEY (OCTOBER 7, 2019) (REUTERS) TURKISH PRESIDENT TAYYIP ERDOGAN WALKING TO PODIUM REPORTERS LISTENING (SOUNDBITE) (Turkish) TURKISH PRESIDENT, TAYYIP ERDOGAN, SAYING: "Regarding this matter, after our talk in the evening on this issue, the withdrawal has started, as (U.S. President Donald) Trump stated. Now, counterparts are carrying out their work and will continue to do so." REPORTERS TAKING NOTES (SOUNDBITE) (Turkish) TURKISH PRESIDENT, TAYYIP ERDOGAN, SAYING: "U.S. delegations and our delegations held talks and still do. This will continue with the same determination after last night's call. We have a decision that we made. We had said that we may come one night." REPORTERS LISTENING (SOUNDBITE) (Turkish) TURKISH PRESIDENT, TAYYIP ERDOGAN, SAYING: "We will most likely hold our U.S. visit in the first half of the following month. This visit will take place in Washington. While there will be meetings between delegations, face-to-face meetings will allow us the chance to discuss in depth the relations between Turkey and the United States as well as the developments in the region." REPORTERS LISTENING (SOUNDBITE) (Turkish) TURKISH PRESIDENT, TAYYIP ERDOGAN, SAYING: "One of the most important matters in bilateral relations is the F-35 (fighter jets) issue. This has been a prolonged process. My hope is that we will resolve this during this meeting because we are still sending parts." CAMERAMAN FILMING (SOUNDBITE) (Turkish) TURKISH PRESIDENT, TAYYIP ERDOGAN, SAYING: "As you know, there are Daesh members in the region from different countries like Germany and France. They say 'we want to let go of control. We cannot look after them anymore. It's enough.' They will carry out work on what could be done on this issue and we have also given orders to our officials. They are also doing some work on what sort of step we should take for the Daesh members in prisons to be rapidly finished." REPORTER TAKING NOTES ERDOGAN AND OFFICIALS LEAVING
- Embargoed: 21st October 2019 10:02
- Keywords: Turkey Syria US military operation Turkish president Tayyip Erdogan
- Location: ANKARA, TURKEY
- City: ANKARA, TURKEY
- Country: Turkey
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Military Conflicts
- Reuters ID: LVA001B03LLQF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan said on Monday (October 7) that U.S. troops had started to withdraw from parts of northeast Syria after his phone call with U.S. President Donald Trump, adding that talks between Turkish and U.S. officials on the matter would continue.
On Sunday (October 6), the White House said Turkey will soon move forward with its long-planned military operation to create what it calls a "safe zone" in northern Syria and U.S. forces will not support or be involved in it.
Speaking to reporters in Ankara before departing for a visit to Serbia, Erdogan also said he planned to visit Washington to meet with Trump in the first half of November. He said the two leaders would discuss plans for the "safe zone," and added that he hoped to resolve a dispute over F-35 fighter jets during his visit.
(Production: Mert Ozkan, Omer Berberoglu)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None