- Title: London police arrest over 100 climate protesters as disruptions begin
- Date: 7th October 2019
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (OCTOBER 7, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF POLICE CARRYING A HANDCUFFED MAN FROM PROTEST / PROTESTERS NEARBY CHANTING (English): "We love you!"
- Embargoed: 21st October 2019 12:50
- Keywords: Climate change protests extinction rebellion London disruptions civil disobbedience London protests
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Environment,Climate Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001B03M72F
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: PLEASE NOTE: PART QUALITY AS INCOMING
London's Metropolitan Police have arrested 135 people taking part in protests organised by the climate change protest group Extinction Rebellion, they said on Monday (October 7).
Activists blocked roads, bridges and squares all over London's government district of Westminster to call on politicians to take urgent action to curb carbon emissions.
Two activists were seen lying underneath a van parked near Trafalgar Square to prevent the police from removing it, as other activists unloaded various objects that were then abandoned in the middle of the square.
The protests, which organizers expect to bring 10,000 people to the British capital, are part of what Extinction Rebellion activists call an "international rebellion," with similar actions taking part in Australia, the Netherlands and elsewhere.
The Metropolitan Police said last week they would mobilize thousands of officers to handle the planned protests warning that anyone who broke the law, even as part of non-violent civil disobedience, would be arrested.
(Production: Chiara Rodriquez)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None