- Title: Kaelin, Ratcliffe and Semenza win 2019 Nobel Medicine Prize
- Date: 7th October 2019
- Summary: SCREEN BEHIND PERLMANN SHOWING PHOTOGRAPHS OF WINNERS (LEFT TO RIGHT) GREGG SEMENZA, PETER RATCLIFFE AND WILLIAM KAELIN
- Embargoed: 21st October 2019 10:48
- Keywords: Nobel Prize for Medicine 2019 Nobel prices Nobel Assembly announcement award prize science cells
- Location: STOCKHOLM, SWEDEN
- City: STOCKHOLM, SWEDEN
- Country: Sweden
- Topics: Life Sciences,Science
- Reuters ID: LVA002B03LAO7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Scientists William Kaelin, Peter Ratcliffe and Gregg Semenza won the 2019 Nobel Prize for Physiology or Medicine for discoveries of how cells sense and adapt to the availability of oxygen, the award-giving body said on Monday (October 7).
The trio of one British and two U.S. scientists will share a prize of 9 million Swedish crowns ($913,000).
Medicine is the first of the Nobel Prizes awarded each year. The prizes for achievements in science, peace and literature have been awarded since 1901 and were created in the will of dynamite inventor and businessman Alfred Nobel.
(Production: Bjorn Lockstrom, Kristian Brunse)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Footage contains photographs or artwork. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing this clip.