- Title: Candidates register for Sri Lanka's upcoming presidential election
- Date: 7th October 2019
- Summary: COLOMBO, SRI LANKA (OCTOBER 7, 2019) (REUTERS) RAJAPAKSA WAVING AND LEAVING ELECTION COMMISSION BUILDING WITH FORMER PRESIDENT MAHINDA RAJAPAKSA (SOUNDBITE) (English) FORMER DEFENCE CHIEF AND PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE FOR MAIN OPPOSITION PARTY SRI LANKA PEOPLE'S FRONT, GOTABAYA RAJAPAKSA, SAYING: "With the help of the Sinhalese, Tamil, and Muslim people, voters, we can win. We're confident."
- Embargoed: 21st October 2019 11:31
- Keywords: presidential election Sri Lanka candidates
- Location: COLOMBO, SRI LANKA
- City: COLOMBO, SRI LANKA
- Country: Sri Lanka
- Topics: Government/Politics,Elections/Voting
- Reuters ID: LVA002B03J613
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Candidates registered for the upcoming Sri Lankan presidential election on Monday (October 7) in Colombo.
According to the election commission, a record number of 35 candidates have registered.
Notable candidates include former defence chief Gotabaya Rajapaksa of the main opposition party, the Sri Lanka People's Front, and Sajith Premadasa of the ruling United National Front.
Rajapaksa, brother of pro-China former President Mahinda Rajapaksa, said he is ready to repair ties with China, should he win the November election, one of his advisers has said.
Premadasa, 52, son of former president Ranasinghe Premadasa who was assassinated by a Tamil Tiger rebel suicide bomber in 1993, is popular among the rural poor.
The election is likely to be dominated by national security issues, after a wave o suicide bombings claimed by Islamic State killed more than 250 people in April, denting the island's critical tourism industry.
(Production: Waruna Karunatilake, Joseph Campbell)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None