- Title: Teen climate activist Greta Thunberg leads march in South Dakota
- Date: 7th October 2019
- Summary: RAPID CITY, SOUTH DAKOTA, UNITED STATES (OCTOBER 7, 2019) (REUTERS) GENERAL VIEW OF MARCH BEGINNING WITH CLIMATE ACTIVIST GRETA THUNBERG (STRIPED SHIRT) AT FRONT HOLDING BANNER FRONT VIEW OF THUNBERG MARCHING HOLDING BANNER READING: "THE PEOPLE DEMAND CLIMATE JUSTICE NOW" (SOUNDBITE) (English) CLIMATE ACTIVIST, GRETA THUNBERG, SAYING: "We're standing up right now and we will not back down because we know what is at stake and we will never give up." THUNBERG HOLDING BANNER AND MARCHING
- Embargoed: 21st October 2019 23:12
- Keywords: Greta Thunberg oil pipelines climate-change protests carbon emissions
- Location: RAPID CITY, SOUTH DAKOTA, UNITED STATES
- City: RAPID CITY, SOUTH DAKOTA, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Environment,Climate Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001B03NR5Z
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Teen climate change activist Greta Thunberg joined global protests on Monday (October 7) from South Dakota where she led a march in downtown Rapid City.
Sixteen-year-old Thunberg made a surprise announcement that she would participate in the event on Sunday as she visited the Pine Ridge Reservation to meet with Native American activists.
Thunberg spoke to her fellow activists, vowing that they would not back down and "never give up."
Thunberg's visit came as thousands of climate-change protesters took to the streets in cities around the world on Monday, launching two weeks of peaceful civil disobedience to demand immediate action to cut carbon emissions and avert an ecological disaster.
The protests are the latest stage in a global campaign for tougher and swifter steps against climate change coordinated by Extinction Rebellion, which rose to prominence in April when it snarled traffic in central London for 11 days.
(Production: Kristin Neubauer)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None