- Title: Merkel: Climate package must include CO2 monitoring to pass cabinet
- Date: 7th October 2019
- Summary: SINSHEIM, GERMANY (OCTOBER 7, 2019) (REUTERS) ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** GERMAN CHANCELLOR ANGELA MERKEL SPEAKING AT OPENING OF CLIMATE AND ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION CENTRE (SOUNDBITE) (German) GERMAN CHANCELLOR, ANGELA MERKEL, SAYING: "Monitoring is an essential issue in our climate protection plan. Now, there is a certain nervousness about it and that's why I want to be very clear: Monitoring will be transparently enshrined in the climate protection package. Otherwise I won't allow us to pass it. This is due to happen on Wednesday and we are working on it right now. I will make sure that it will be a reliable and verifiable and transparent monitoring." MERKEL SPEAKING AUDIENCE APPLAUDING MERKEL, PRIME MINISTER OF STATE OF BADEN-WUERTTEMBERG, WINFRIED KRETSCHMANN, AND OTHER OFFICIALS OPEN CLIMATE AND ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION CENTRE VARIOUS EXTERIORS OF CLIMATE AND ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION CENTRE
- Embargoed: 21st October 2019 13:16
- Keywords: climate change protection chancellor angela merkel address
- Location: SINSHEIM, GERMANY
- City: SINSHEIM, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Topics: Environment,Climate Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001B03L7IF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: German Chancellor Angela Merkel said on Monday the government's climate protection package would include a mechanism to monitor compliance with emission limits set for individual sectors, adding that the cabinet was due to pass it on Wednesday.
She said that such monitoring would be very clearly laid out in the climate protection law.
"Otherwise I won't allow us to pass it. This is due to happen on Wednesday," Merkel said.
German ministries last week failed to agree on the climate protection measures, leaving little time to fulfil Merkel's plan to pass the landmark package this year.
(Production: Andreas Buerger, Frank Simon, Ute Swart)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None