- Title: Le Pen denounces "pillage" of the country's resources by migrants
- Date: 7th October 2019
- Summary: PARIS, FRANCE (OCTOBER 7, 2019) (REUTERS) (SOUNDBITE) (French) "RASSEMBLEMENT NATIONAL" FAR-RIGHT OPPOSITION PARTY LEADER, MARINE LE PEN, SAYING: "Because, yes, in addition to fraud there is an extremely beneficial legal system for those who, in the end, only made the effort to set foot in France, while French people who pay contributions are in need."
- Embargoed: 21st October 2019 15:44
- Keywords: Le Pen migrants right-wing attacks European Union
- Location: PARIS, CALAIS AND DUNKIRK, FRANCE
- City: PARIS, CALAIS AND DUNKIRK, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Asylum/Immigration/Refugees,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA003B03LZYF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: French opposition leader Marine Le Pen denounced the "pillage" of French resources and the "peril of terrorism" caused by immigration on Monday (October 7).
She blamed the government's lax immigration policy, propagated by President Emmanuel Macron, calling it a failure.
The far-right politician also expressed her desire to unite nationalist European MPs against the European Union's (EU) immigration policy, which she said encroaches upon member countries' sovereignty and relies too heavily on unreliable non-EU actors.
Le Pen addressed the press as a debate on immigration quotas started in the French national assembly on Tuesday.
The 51-year-old politician has long put immigration among the top priorities of her party, the "Rassemblement national" (RN), and is regularly accused of stoking fears to gain votes.
(Production: Thierry Chiarello, Manuel Ausloos)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None