- Title: File footage of Samsung Electronics ahead of earnings guidance
- Date: 7th October 2019
- Summary: BROOKLYN, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES (FILE - AUGUST 7, 2019) (REUTERS) VIDEO FEATURING SAMSUNG GALAXY NOTE 10 DISPLAYED ON SCREEN
- Embargoed: 21st October 2019 08:12
- Keywords: file semiconductor Samsung Electronics Galaxy Fold mobile phone 5G Q3 Galaxy earning
- Location: SEOUL, VARIOUS FILMING LOCATIONS, SOUTH KOREA/ SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA, BROOKLYN, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- City: SEOUL, VARIOUS FILMING LOCATIONS, SOUTH KOREA/ SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA, BROOKLYN, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- Country: South Korea
- Topics: Company News Markets,Economic Events
- Reuters ID: LVA006B03J1CD
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd. is likely to post a fourth consecutive quarter of declining profit when it reports preliminary earnings on Tuesday (October 8), though investors will be hoping the worst has passed with chip prices showing signs of recovery.
Falling semiconductor prices and the drawn-out U.S.-China trade war have bitten into profits at the world's top memory chip and smartphone maker, but analysts expect to see earnings growth next year as chip prices turn around.
In the mobile business, which accounted for about 24 percent of total operating profit in the second quarter, Samsung is benefiting from U.S. sanctions against Chinese smartphone and network equipment rival Huawei Technologies.
Samsung's share of the European mobile market leapt to a five-year high of more than 40 percent in the second quarter, while Huawei's slipped below 20 percent, according to data from research firm Canalys.
(Production: Daewoung Kim, Minwoo Park)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.