- Title: German Chancellor Merkel meets Estonian President Kaljulaid
- Date: 8th October 2019
- Summary: BERLIN, GERMANY (OCTOBER 8, 2019) (REUTERS) ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** GERMAN CHANCELLOR ANGELA MERKEL AND ESTONIAN PRESIDENT KERSTI KALJULAID ARRIVING FOR NEWS CONFERENCE CAMERAS MERKEL AND KALJULAID AT NEWS CONFERENCE MERKEL SPEAKING OFFICIALS MEDIA MERKEL AND KALJULAID SHAKING HAND, WALKING OFF
- Embargoed: 22nd October 2019 20:15
- Keywords: Merkel Estonian President Kaljulaid
- Location: BERLIN, GERMANY
- City: BERLIN, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001B08JMFB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:German Chancellor Angela Merkel met with Estonian President Kersti Kaljulaid on Tuesday (October 8) in Berlin, before holding talks about Estonia's role in the Security Council and the topics they plan to focus on.
Earlier on Tuesday, Merkel told UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson in a call that a Brexit deal was "overwhelmingly unlikely" unless Britain left Northern Ireland in the customs union, a British source said.
The Downing Street source said if the call represented "a new established position, then it means a deal is essentially impossible not just now but ever."
According to the source, Merkel said that for a deal, Northern Ireland would have to stay in the EU's customs union and full alignment with the EU forever - demands Johnson could never accept or push through parliament.
A spokesman for the German chancellor confirmed the call had taken place but declined to comment further.
(Production: Leon Malherbe, Ute Swart)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None