- Title: Climate change activists plant trees outside UK parliament
- Date: 8th October 2019
- Summary: ACTIVIST CARRYING TREES IN POTS AND PLACING THEM IN GRASS NEAR PARLIAMENT ACTIVISTS SINGING TREES IN POTS
- Embargoed: 22nd October 2019 14:52
- Keywords: Exinction Rebellion climate change activists plant trees Exinction Rebellion tree protest London climante change action Matthew Shirbman
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Environment,Editors' Choice,Climate Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA002B08MP1J
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Climate change activists placed hundreds of trees outside the British parliament on Tuesday (October 8) to call on the government and members of parliament to plant billions of trees across the UK and support the planting of trillions all over the world.
Event organisers said some 800 potted native trees, many dedicated to lawmakers who were asked to collect them, were placed outside the parliament building.
Science presenter and campaigner, Matthew Shribman, who helped organise the protest, said that the action was to call on lawmakers to commit to planting "billions" of trees.
"Tree planting is our most effective climate change solution to date," he said. "We want the MPs to take these trees and use it as the beginning of their commitment to plant billions of trees."
On Monday, the Extinction Rebellion group took action in several countries including Britain, Germany, Austria, Australia, France and New Zealand as they lobby politicians to go further in cutting carbon emissions.
The protests are the latest stage in a global campaign for tougher and swifter steps against climate change coordinated by the group, which rose to prominence in April when it snarled traffic in central London for 11 days.
(Production: Will Russell, Helena Williams)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.