- Title: University of Geneva lauds its Nobel physics prize winning professors
- Date: 8th October 2019
- Summary: VERSOIX, SWITZERLAND (OCTOBER 8, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF PHOTO OF MAYOR POSTED IN HALLWAY INSIDE UNIVERSITY OF GENEVA OBSERVATORY
- Embargoed: 22nd October 2019 14:59
- Keywords: James Peebles Nobel Prize telescope Sweden Michel Mayor astronomy physics Didier Queloz Geneva
- Location: VERSOIX, SWITZERLAND / LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM / PRINCETON, NEW JERSEY, UNITED STATES/ STOCKHOLM, SWEDEN
- City: VERSOIX, SWITZERLAND / LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM / PRINCETON, NEW JERSEY, UNITED STATES/ STOCKHOLM, SWEDEN
- Country: France
- Topics: Science
- Reuters ID: LVA002B08MS7B
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Canadian-American cosmologist James Peebles and Swiss scientists Michel Mayor and Didier Queloz won the 2019 Nobel Prize in Physics on Tuesday (October 8) for revealing the wonder of the evolution of the universe and discovering planets orbiting distant suns.
Peebles, of Princeton University in the United States, was awarded half of the 9-million-Swedish-crown (910,000 U.S. dollar) prize while Mayor and Queloz, from Switzerland's University of Geneva and Britain's Cambridge University, shared the rest.
The Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences said the scientists' research had "transformed our ideas about the cosmos".
The University of Geneva on Tuesday congratulated Mayor and Queloz, its own professors, and Peebles on social media.
Using theoretical tools and calculations, Peebles was able to interpret trace radiation from the infancy of the universe and so discover new physical processes, the academy said. It said that Mayor and Queloz announced the first discovery of a planet outside our own solar system, a so-called "exoplanet", starting a revolution in astronomy. Over 4,000 exoplanets have since been found in the Milky Way.
(Production: Denis Balibouse, Ardee Napolitano)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Footage contains photographs or artwork. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing this clip.