- Title: England aware France now a very different proposition
- Date: 8th October 2019
- Summary: TOKYO, JAPAN (OCTOBER 8, 2019) (REUTERS) ENGLAND PLAYERS TRAINING VARIOUS OF SCRUMHALF BEN YOUNGS AND ATTACK COACH SCOTT WISEMANTEL THROWING BALL FULLBACK ELLIOT DALY KICKING BALL / FLYHALF GEORGE FORD WARMING-UP FORD WARMING-UP HEAD COACH EDDIE JONES LAUGHING VARIOUS OF YOUNGS KICKING BALL AND BALL BEING CAUGHT BY WINGER JONNY MAY YOUNGS AND LOCK JOE LAUNCHBURY ARRIVING FOR NEWS CONFERENCE VARIOUS OF YOUNGS AND LAUNCHBURY AT NEWS CONFERENCE (SOUNDBITE) (English) ENGLAND SCRUMHALF, BEN YOUNGS, SAYING: "I actually think France have changed a lot since then (England's 44-8 win). We actually haven't looked at that game, we have looked at the games in the last two weeks that they have played, so we are not taking anything out of that. We think that France actually changed quite a little bit of it, (especially) with (Fabien) Galthie coming in as well (and he has) changed them slightly. So, we are focusing on the last two weeks that they have played. The Tonga game most recently, all of us, pretty much, tuned into watch that as well. They might use it for motivation but for us, our motivation will be no different to always and we certainly won't be playing the same way as we did then because I am actually going to be preparing for that." WINGER ANTHONY WATSON LAUGHING AND RUNNING VARIOUS OF CENTRE JONATHAN JOSEPH WARMING-UP JONES STRETCHING VARIOUS OF MAY WARMING-UP VARIOUS OF WATSON WARMING-UP (SOUNDBITE) (English) ENGLAND SCRUMHALF, BEN YOUNGS, SAYING: "Assuming that maybe (French scrumhalf Antoine) Dupont will play, I think he is a wonderful player. You know he moves the point of attack really, really well. I think, without doubt, they still have that ability and when they do get their tails up and they do start moving. I think one of the tries they scored against Argentina was a great team try, that they offload, everyone gets excited and suddenly everyone wants a touch of the ball and they've become extremely dangerous. So, that is the French (that) you always prepare for." VARIOUS OF YOUNGS WARMING-UP FORD WARMING-UP ENGLAND TRAINING CENTRE MANU TUILAGI TRAINING (SOUNDBITE) (English) ENGLAND ATTACK COACH, SCOTT WISEMANTEL, WHEN ASKED ABOUT HEALTH OF NUMBER EIGHT, BILLY VUNIPOLA, SAYING: "At this stage, all 31 (players) are available. We will make a call, probably late Wednesday, early Thursday, but if there is any risk we will probably rest him."
- Embargoed: 22nd October 2019 08:10
- Keywords: Billy Vunipola England France Rugby World Cup Japan Ben Youngs Wisemantel
- Location: TOKYO, JAPAN
- City: TOKYO, JAPAN
- Country: Japan
- Topics: Rugby Union,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA001B08J6M7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: England are disregarding the 44-8 thrashing they handed out to France in this year's Six Nations, as they prepared to face a team they said have changed beyond recognition from the sorry outfit destroyed at Twickenham in February.
Both teams have already qualified for the quarter-finals and their Pool C game in Yokohama on Saturday (October 12) marks the first time they have clashed before the knockout stage at a Rugby World Cup.
Speaking to the media on Tuesday (October 8) England were full of praise for the way France have lifted themselves from a poor Six Nations campaign, with much of the credit going to Fabien Galthie, who will succeed Jacques Brunel as head coach after the World Cup.
Scrumhalf Ben Youngs, England's most-capped back with 92, has been on the winning side in seven of the nine games he has played against France and he expects them to cut loose now the pressure of qualification is off.
Coach Eddie Jones is expected to make a few changes to the side, with an eye on next week's quarter-final, with Billy Vunipola highly unlikely to play as he recovers from a twisted ankle.
(Production: Jack Tarrant)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None