- Title: Macron pays tribute to four police employees killed in knife attack
- Date: 8th October 2019
- Summary: LEGION OF HONOR MEDAL ON COFFIN OF ONE OF THE VICTIMS MACRON WALKING ON STAGE, WIPING FACE WITH HANDKERCHIEF (SOUNDBITE) (French) FRENCH PRESIDENT, EMMANUEL MACRON, SAYING: "Four French people fell on Thursday, October 3. And if the emotion runs this high in the country, in Paris and in the provinces, it's because each one of us see in them a son, a daughter, a father or a mother, a brother or a sister, a friend. Four police agents fell on Thursday, October 3." FORMER FRENCH PRESIDENT, NICOLAS SARKOZY, CASTANER, PARIS POLICE PREFECT DIDIER LALLEMENT AND OTHER OFFICIALS STANDING BY (SOUNDBITE) (French) FRENCH PRESIDENT, EMMANUEL MACRON, SAYING: "Your colleagues died in the hands of a perverted and fatal Islam, which we need to eradicate. And an individual taken over so much by such an ideology that he had to act in a site where we precisely track dangerous individuals is inconceivable, unacceptable." POLICE AND OFFICIALS STANDING UNDER RAIN (SOUNDBITE) (French) FRENCH PRESIDENT, EMMANUEL MACRON, SAYING: "And so let's gather together behind the police not only when they are struck by such a tragedy, but also when they carry out their daily duties. Let's gather together relentlessly, against Islamism, against this deadly ideology, which does not recognise neither the law nor our right nor our way of life. Let's gather together for the nation's unity by knowing how to keep together all French people regardless of their confessions, regardless of their convictions."
- Embargoed: 22nd October 2019 11:36
- Keywords: France knife attack police prefecture Emmanuel Macron ceremony homage terrorism
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE
- City: PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice,Crime
- Reuters ID: LVA003B08LJYF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: PLEASE NOTE: AUDIO QUALITY AS INCOMING
French President Emmanuel Macron paid homage on Tuesday (October 8) to four police employees killed during a knife attack at the Paris force headquarters last week.
The assailant, an IT worker at the premises, killed three police officers and an administrative worker with a knife last week, before being shot dead by police.
Walking solemnly under the pouring rain, Macron saluted the fallen agents' coffins as the French national anthem played.
Interior Minister Christophe Castaner conferred the Legion of Honor, France's most prestigious medal, upon the fallen police agents.
Initial investigations have revealed that the Martinique-born man, a convert to Islam, had contacts with individuals likely belonging to an Islamist Salafist movement, according to prosecutors.
Macron said France must develop a society of vigilance in its fight against Islamist militancy.
"Let's gather together, incessantly, against Islamism, against this deadly ideology, which does not recognise neither law nor our right nor our way of life," Macron said.
(Production: Ardee Napolitano)
- Copyright Holder: POOL (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None