- Title: EXCLUSIVE: Kim Kardashian praises Greta and hopes for meeting
- Date: 8th October 2019
- Summary: YEREVAN, ARMENIA (OCTOBER 8, 2019) (REUTERS) KARDASHIAN SPEAKING DURING INTERVIEW (SOUNDBITE) (English) U.S. TV REALITY STAR AND ACTIVIST, KIM KARDASHIAN, ASKED ABOUT THE CRITICISM BRITAIN'S DUKE AND DUCHESS OF SUSSEX, PRINCE HARRY AND MEGHAN HAVE FACED FOR TAKING PRIVATE JETS AND CLAIMING TO BE ENVIRONMENTALISTS AND IF IT'S FAIR, SAYING: "And, I think that everyone makes their own choices and decisions. And I think that like I said no one's going to be perfect. I'm not, they're not. I don't know who is. And I still love and value the fact that they bring such attention to such important movements that need to happen and things that they're really passionate about because they're still changing the world." KARDASHIAN SPEAKING DURING INTERVIEW (SOUNDBITE) (English) U.S. TV REALITY STAR AND ACTIVIST, KIM KARDASHIAN, ASKED ABOUT SOME OF HER SKIMS RANGE BEING MADE IN TURKEY, SAYING: "Well I actually wasn't really a part of production at the beginning, and so it was a tons of samples from many different factories, and so I picked quality and I didn't ask like well where's each one made. And no one thought to tell me until after production. So, we're in five different countries and we are, I'm really excited because tonight I have a meeting that I'm going to talk about future investments and how to open up a factory here and how to really bring business to Armenia." KARDASHIAN SPEAKING (SOUNDBITE) (English) U.S. TV REALITY STAR AND ACTIVIST, KIM KARDASHIAN, ON STUDYING LAW, ASKED WHAT KIND OF LAW SHE WANTS TO DO AND WHAT KIND OF CASES SHE WANTS TO TAKE ON, SAYING: "And so, I mean I already know that I really want to study criminal law and you know what you have to go through the motions of contracts and torts and civil and everything else, but I've really enjoyed the process and I believe that I've just always been really curious and the more that I know about what's going on in the fields that I really want to know about, the more things I can do to help. So, it's really important to me to get my law degree and to really stick it through, I'm almost done with year one and you know it's been really challenging especially with my schedule, but it's really important to me." KARDASHIAN SPEAKING (SOUNDBITE) (English) U.S. TV REALITY STAR AND ACTIVIST, KIM KARDASHIAN, ON STUDYING LAW - CONTINUATION OF ANSWER ABOVE, SAYING: "I spent a lot of time visiting prisons. And some of the most enlightened people I've ever met, some of the smartest people and the people that know law the best are people that are spending time in prison. And I would love to open up a firm and hire formerly incarcerated people that have spent so much time having to fight for their lives inside and... They know the law better than anybody. And I think I would have the best firm if I had a firm of formerly incarcerated people." KARDASHIAN SPEAKING (SOUNDBITE) (English) U.S. TV REALITY STAR AND ACTIVIST, KIM KARDASHIAN, ON POLITICS, ASKED DOES SHE SEE LAW AS A SEGUE INTO POLITICS, IS THAT SOMETHING SHE WOULD CONSIDER, WOULD SHE WANT TO END UP IN THE WHITE HOUSE, SAYING: "I think it's an extremely important job and I've never really set out to be in politics. I think, I've always just you know, especially as I get older, as I have children, you evolve, and you grow and I become just... I care a lot about people. And so, I, I just would want to continue that doing what I'm doing. If I can help people and if I meet with you know the president to help, I hope I have a long relationship with future presidents and can continue the work that I do." KARDASHIAN SPEAKING
- Embargoed: 22nd October 2019 15:58
- Keywords: Kim Kardashian reality star celebrity technology congress Armenia interview Greta Thunberg Harry and Meghan
- Location: YEREVAN, ARMENIA/ UNITED NATIONS/ NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES/ PARIS, FRANCE/ GYUMRI, ARMENIA/ ROME, ITALY/ TEMBISA, SOUTH AFRICA
- City: YEREVAN, ARMENIA/ UNITED NATIONS/ NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES/ PARIS, FRANCE/ GYUMRI, ARMENIA/ ROME, ITALY/ TEMBISA, SOUTH AFRICA
- Country: Armenia
- Topics: Celebrities,Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA00CB08N5MV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY
U.S. reality TV star Kim Kardashian heaped praise on Swedish teenage climate activist Greta Thunberg on Tuesday (October 8), calling her a "brave and amazing young woman" and said she shared her concerns about climate change.
Kardashian, 38, said she would love to have dinner with Thunberg, who told world leaders at the opening of a United Nations conference last month that they had stolen her childhood with "empty words".
"She (Thunberg) is such an amazing young girl, and so brave and courageous to stand up to these grown-ups that can be very scary and for her to be so open and honest is exactly what we need," Kardashian told Reuters in an exclusive interview during a visit to Armenia.
"Climate change is a serious problem," said Kardashian, who was attending the World Congress on Information Technology (WCIT) in the Armenian capital Yerevan.
She said she also wanted to talk to Thunberg's parents and to share her thoughts as a social media entrepreneur.
"Speaking on a big platform invites a lot of different opinions and personalities and how they (parents) manage that," Kardashian said.
Kardashian's ancestors came from Armenia and her visit also included seeing three of her four children baptised on Monday (October 7) in the country's main cathedral Echmiadzin. Her elder daughter, North, was baptised in 2015 in the Armenian church in Jerusalem.
Kardashian said that all members of her family were very cautious about the environment and she defended other famous people like Britain's Prince Harry and his wife Meghan, who have been criticised for using private jets.
They were "very passionate about decisions that change the world," Kardashian said of the royal couple.
"I still love and value the fact that they bring such attention to such important movements that need to happen and they are really passionate about, because they are still changing the world," she said.
Talking about plans for her businesses, which include beauty products and shapewear, Kardashian said she was considering opening a factory and investing in Armenia, which her ancestors left for the United States at the beginning of the 20th century.
"I'm excited as tonight I have a meeting and I'm gonna talk about future investments and opening up a factory here and how to really bring this (business) to Armenia," Kardashian said about her plans in the ex-Soviet country.
Kardashian, who has over 60 million followers on Twitter, said she was very determined to complete her studies as a lawyer, although it was "challenging for her" due to her tight schedule.
She wants to promote the hiring of ex-prisoners so they are able to return to the workforce.
"Some of the (most) enlightened people I've ever met, smartest people, people that know law the best, are people that are spending time in prison," said Kardashian, who in the past has talked about her vocal support for criminal justice reform.
The reality-star-turned-activist said she had no plans to enter politics and does not want to have any more children with her musician husband Kanye West.
(Production: David Chkhikvishvili, Oliver Barth, Sarah Mills, Lisa Giles-Keddie, Tanya Lezaic)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None