- Title: Jets take off from Diyarbakir air base as Turkey launches Syria offensive
- Date: 9th October 2019
- Summary: DIYARBAKIR, TURKEY (OCTOBER 9, 2019) (REUTERS) (NIGHT SHOTS) VARIOUS OF TURKISH JETS TAKING OFF FROM DIYARBAKIR AIR BASE
- Embargoed: 23rd October 2019 18:22
- Keywords: Turkey Syria operation airstrikes warplanes
- Location: DIYARBAKIR, TURKEY
- City: DIYARBAKIR, TURKEY
- Country: Turkey
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Military Conflicts
- Reuters ID: LVA001B0DNOEF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Four jets took off from Diyarbakir air base in southeastern Turkey on Wednesday (October 9) evening, hours after Ankara launched a military offensive, dubbed "Operation Peace Spring", into northeastern Syria.
Several large explosions earlier on Wednesday rocked the northeastern Syrian town of Ras al-Ain, on the border across from the Turkish town of Ceylanpinar, a CNN Turk reporter said, adding that the sound of planes could be heard flying overhead.
He also said smoke could be seen rising from buildings in Ras al-Ain.
As the blasts occurred, President Tayyip Erdogan announced that Turkey and its Syrian rebel allies had launched their military operation into northeastern Syria. He said the offensive aimed to eliminate a "terror corridor" along the southern Turkish border.
(Production: Umit Ozdal)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None