- Title: Turkey says will inform all actors, including Damascus, about Syria offensive
- Date: 9th October 2019
- Summary: AKCAKALE, TURKEY (OCTOBER 9, 2019) (REUTERS) FREE SYRIAN ARMY (FSA) REBELS WAVING FSA FLAG AND MAKING VICTORY SIGNS AS THEY DRIVE ALONG THE BORDER VEHICLES CARRYING FSA REBELS DRIVING AWAY
- Embargoed: 23rd October 2019 13:23
- Keywords: Turkey Syria operation Syrian Kurdish militia Free Syrian Army FSA fighters Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu
- Location: ALGIERS, ALGERIA, AKCAKALE, TURKEY
- City: ALGIERS, ALGERIA, AKCAKALE, TURKEY
- Country: Turkey
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Military Conflicts
- Reuters ID: LVA002B0DLJRB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Turkey will inform all relevant countries, including the Syrian government, about its planned offensive into northeastern Syria, Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said on Wednesday (October 9).
An aide to President Tayyip Erdogan said early on Wednesday that Turkish forces and Syrian rebel allies will push into Syria "shortly", in a move that world powers fear could open a new phase in Syria's war and deepen regional turmoil.
Speaking at a news conference in Algeria, Cavusoglu said the operation would be carried out in line with international law and that the only target of the offensive was militants in the region. He said Erdogan had told U.S. President Donald Trump in at the weekend that Ankara would launch the offensive after Washington stalled efforts to form a "safe zone" in the region.
(Production: Yesim Dikmen, Bulent Usta)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None