- Title: Kurds in Rome protest Turkish military operation in Syria
- Date: 9th October 2019
- Summary: ROME, ITALY (OCTOBER 9, 2019) (REUTERS) KURDISH DEMONSTRATORS GATHERED IN CENTRAL ROME TO PROTEST AGAINST TURKISH MILITARY ACTION IN SYRIA, CHANTING PROTESTER CHANTING PROTESTER DOING VICTORY SIGN WITH HAND PROTESTER CHANTING PROTESTER SHOUTING (Italian) "NO TO TURKISH INVASION IN ROJAVA, NO TO TURKISH INVASION IN ROJAVA" BANNER READING (Italian and English) "NO TO TURKISH OCCUPATION IN SYRIA, FREE ROJAVA" / PROTESTERS CHANTING (Italian) "(TURKISH PRESIDENT TAYYIP) ERDOGAN KILLER!" PROTESTERS IN SQUARE PROTESTER DOING VICTORY SIGN WITH HAND (SOUNDBITE) (English) MEMBER OF KURDISH INTERNATIONAL CONGRESS, ADEM UZUN, SAYING: "The Kurdish forces are under attack, the Kurdish civilians are under attack, the children are under attack. Who are they? They are the people who saved the world, the world has not to be silent, the world has to protect the values of humanity" PROTESTER LOOKING ON (SOUNDBITE) (English) MEMBER OF KURDISH INTERNATIONAL CONGRESS, ADEM UZUN, SAYING: "In our area since five years there is no instability, there is no confusion, in that area there is no attack against Turkey but Turkey will occupy our area. They want to destroy the dream of the people for democracy, peace and life together. We have to prevent it." VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS CHANTING PROTESTER DOING VICTORY SIGN WITH HAND VARIOUS OF PROTESTER LOOKING ON BANNER READING (English) "STOP BOMBING KURDS AND HUMANITY" PROTESTER LOOKING ON PROTESTERS HOLDING BANNERS
- Embargoed: 23rd October 2019 17:57
- Keywords: Kurds Kurdish protesters Turkey launches military action Rome protest
- Location: ROME, ITALY
- City: ROME, ITALY
- Country: Italy
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA001B0DN7T3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Kurdish demonstrators gathered in Rome on Wednesday (October 9) to protest against Turkey planned military offensive in north-eastern Syria.
A group of about 50 Kurdish demonstrators gathered peacefully at dusk to protest against Turkey's decision to enter an area controlled by Kurdish forces.
"The Kurdish civilians are under attack, the children are under attack", member of Kurdish International Congress, Adem Uzun, said. "Turkey will occupy our area. They want to destroy the dream of the people for democracy, peace and life together", he added.
Demonstrators chanted ''Erdogan killer!" and carried banners and placards to denounce Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan's plans to advance into the country.
Turkey began the action against Kurdish fighters just days after U.S. troops pulled back from the area, with air strikes and artillery hitting YPG militia positions around the border town of Ras al Ain.
Erdogan, announcing the start of the action, said the aim was to eliminate what he called a "terror corridor" on Turkey's southern border.
Turkey had been poised to enter northeast Syria since U.S. troops, who had been fighting with the Kurds against Islamic State, started to leave the area in an abrupt policy shift by U.S. President Donald Trump. The withdrawal was widely criticised in Washington as a betrayal of America's Kurdish allies.
(Production: Antonio Denti, Oriana Boselli, Emily Roe)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None